TheBanyanTree: You Say You Want a Resolution...

trebro at att.net trebro at att.net
Wed Nov 19 22:32:24 PST 2003

[I don't like to get political on the Tree, but I wanted to share my feelings
about participating in the passing of a resolution in my hometown of
Wilkinsburg. If you want to know what the resolution was about, check out
http://www.livejournal.com/users/trebro.]

I got asked last Wednesday if I would be willing to write a few words in
support of a resolution that I agreed with and read them during the comments
period at my local council meeting. I feel like I've not been a very good
activist for the past few years, so I agreed.

By the time today rolled around, I was scared. I had to stand up and talk
about a resolution on a night where the house would be packed (due to a budget
question not directly related to my issue) and the council might not care at
all about the resolution I wanted them to pass.

I started writing what I was going to say on the busride to the meeting. I
wish I'd given it more time, but there I was. I gave some thought to
cancelling at the last minute, knowing that if I did, I'd never get another
chance.

I got off the bus still scared, but determined to go anyway.

I walked all over the "business" district of Wilkinsburg, because I
mis-remembered my directions. Maybe I mis-remembered them on purpose, I don't
know. At any rate, despite my best efforts at getting myself lost, I found the
municipal building, and met with one of the people involved in the resolution.

We talked for awhile, and I tried to keep it away from the subject. I didn't
want to admit I wasn't really ready. I had stuff to say, but I didn't think it
was enough. I read over the final copy of the resolution, and noted that it
including some language about the budgetary issues.

Inspiration hit me, and a short while later, I found myself writing the rest
of my talk, incorporating elements from the other items on the agenda to show
why the resolution I supported was needed and related to the budgetary issues.

Great idea--if I could pull it off.

Somehow, I got to be the first person to speak.

"Oh God," I thought as I walked to the mike, "I get to go first."

I spoke, clearly and concisely, despite reading my own chickenscratch in a 3 x
5 notebook I NEVER use for anything other than quick notes to be transcribed
later. I manged to read everyone on it nearly word for word, even the stuff I
scribbed in eighth of an inch high letters as replacement text.

My words were well-received, and the resolution passed unanimously. I think it
would have passed anyway, but it's nice to feel that I helped.

I got involved, I took the time, I used my talents as a writer to help a cause
I believe in, for the first time in way too long. I feel really good right
now, and I hope this is sign of things to come.

Next time, though, I think I'll try to at least start writing on the way to
work, not on the way to the meeting. ;)

-Rob