TheBanyanTree: Sleeping Like a Banana

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 05:55:38 PST 2003

I remember this sound - the rhythmic slow and steady breathing of sleeping
children.  As an early rising parent (and now a grandparent), I know I still
have some time to get the coffee going, take a bath, and maybe check my
email before the breathing begins to get more erratic, quicker, and the boys
’ dreams are coming to their conclusions.

Ray and I have no “guest room,” so we have no extra beds.  I bought moon and
star sleeping bags along with Spider Man pillow cases for their pillows for
the boys to sleep on.

After baths and tooth brushing, we spread the sleeping bags on the loft
floor and they settled in to watch “Lion King.”  The younger one gave into
sleep first.  His sleep breath was light whispering in the background as the
older one asked me to make him a cup of hot chocolate.

By the time I came back upstairs with cups of hot chocolate and
marshmallows, the older one, too, had drifted into dreamland.

As the older one told me as I zipped him in his sleeping bag, it’s like
being a banana.  And I’m glad my little bananas slept well.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

Nature has no mercy at all. Nature says, "I'm going to snow. If you have on
a bikini and no snowshoes, that's tough. I am going to snow anyway."

* Maya Angelou