TheBanyanTree: Weirdness

WolfSinger wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Tue May 13 20:39:27 PDT 2003

There I was, peacefully enjoying the TV I just rigged to be near my
chair.  See, I'm under "house arrest".  When I get up, I "do too much",
and my foot and ankle swell, and my leg turns colours, and the surgery
site gets all ugly and red, and everbuddy yells at me.  So, there I
was, watching the TV in peace, listening as loudly as I wanted with the
headphones, since everyone else in the house had gone to bed.

Slowly, over the course of an hour or so, this music started creeping
into my conciousness through the muffling effect of the headphones.
Each time there was a quick break between commercials, the music seemed
to grow louder.  And louder.  And louder.  Until I finally took off the
headphones to listen.  It was a piano playing.  Well, there is a kid in
the house behind us that usually practices piano at extreme volume, but
not at 11:00 at night.  I decided it must be the voice teacher next
door, who keeps odd hours, being that she is a college professor and
does all that music performance stuff.  No problem.  I put my
headphones back on and continued to enjoy my mindless drivel.

Then I realized that whoever was playing the piano was playing the same
impossibly fast piece over and over and Over and OVer and OVEr and OVER
AND OVER again!  Ok, now that's weird - so I got up to investigate.
Hobbling into the kitchen to listen out the window, I suddenly realized
that the music was coming from *inside* my house!   Downstairs to be
exact.

I started down the steps, one step at a time, like a toddler, since my
knee still won't bend far enough for me to do steps any other way.  As
I got half way down, it occurred to me that when the kids had come
upstairs for bed, they had turned everything off downstairs.  Either
the piano had turned itself on (sorry, it's not a "piano", it's an
"electronic keyboard" which I keep on the piano setting), or there was
someone else down there who had.  Hmm.  Too far to go back up the steps
for my staff, and I can't do anything else violent enough to stop
someone in their tracks right now, unless I've had onions recently,
which I hadn't.  So, brave soul that I am, I called the dogs and told
them to go downstairs.  They happily trotted downstairs and did a walk-
around for me, assuring me that no one was there.

So I hobbed down the last few steps and cripped over to the piano,
where I discovered that not only was it on, but the power cord was
crammed between two keys, jamming them in the down position.  Also, the
song book which was propped on the music stand of the keyboard was
lying on its face, on the keys and on the "Demo" button.

Ah-ha.  That damn demo button plays that ONE song.  Over and over and
Ov... well, you get the idea.  So I turned off the demo and blissfull
silence fell.  Except for the cat, sleeping in the piano chair, who
blurted at me for shutting off his concert.

I suspect that some cat or other (the names may be changed to protect
the guilty), instead of getting out of the window by using the cat
tower placed there for that purpose, decided to make a wild jump for
the piano.  That would explain the jammed keys, the On button pushed,
and the book toppled over.

So I unplugged the darn thing.  The piano, not the cat.  I did roar at
the cat and had the dogs chase him up the stairs, just for good
measure.  The dogs thought it was funny.

And so did I.

Heh.

;o)

Now I'm going to go make some peanut butter fudge (the quickie kind, so
I don't have to stand up much) and veg out some more!

Wolfie
wolfljsh at insightbb.com
http://home.insightbb.com/~wolfljsh/index.html