TheBanyanTree: A Mother's Day Essay from Monique

Sachet Sachet at iline.com
Tue May 6 12:00:20 PDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: A Mother's Day Essay
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:49:38 -0800
From: "Monique Young" <monique.ybs at verizon.net>

Sticks and Stones

My mom and I do not have a close relationship. This is just the way
things are, though I'm not sure if she understands the why of it. In her
emails to me she stresses that she is thinking about me, sometimes that
she is proud of me (because I have survived in spite of her perhaps?),
how she hopes everything turns out well for me, and sometimes,
especially after I've just been to my therapist, these emails irritate
me, annoy me, and cause my blood pressure to rise (I have no evidence of
the last, just a vague feeling).

      My mom has often railed about the fad of blaming one's parents for
one's problems. It is all a sham, she says, for failing to take
responsibility for one's self. The past is irrelevant to the present, in
her world. She would not recognize that I was abused as a child, and if
she did, it would be at the hands of my stepmother.

      "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt
me." I believe I heard that quite often when I was growing up. What they
don't tell you is that words can hurt forever, that words shaped how I
thought of myself and how I thought others perceived me. As a child,
anyone was allowed to say anything at all about me. Not just my
immediate family, not just my siblings, who are prone to say unpleasant
things to each other in the normal course of growing up, but all the
adults my mother hung out with, and they were not kind people.

      My mother's common-law husband did not hesitate to tell me how he
felt about me - neither did her other husband, who also thought sticking
his tongue down my throat was appropriate behavior while mother stood in
the doorway and laughed. I was unattractive, dressed funny, my hairstyle
was bad; the list is long. I remember sitting in a bar with them and
being the object of derision over and over again. My younger brother was
there also, but I was an easier target I think. (Yes, we were obviously
children and didn't belong in a bar, but that was where these people
spent most of their time, and my mother thought it was quality time
because we were together.)

      One weekend my mother and her common-law husband took my brother
and I to a weekend party in Nevada. For indoor entertainment we had the
adult jokesters making fun of me, except now there were more of them,
and less of me. I was fourteen by this time, and I'd become less over
the years (obviously not physically) thanks to constant belittlement.
It's called belittlement for a reason; it makes the target smaller with
each blow.

      I dressed funny. I looked funny. I acted funny. The most memorable
joke came when our host, a middle-aged drunk, said that it wasn't
necessary for mom to take me home right away. "Leave her here, and we'll
send her back when she's pregnant," he bellowed, and the adults in the
room laughed, my mother among them, and my brother looked embarrassed. I
looked around, and my mother, when she saw me looking her way, attempted
a look of motherly concern, but not well enough to hide the fact that
she was, indeed laughing. She had to; their approval meant more to her
than how I felt, how I'd come to regard myself, how hard I'd have to
work to overcome the negative perceptions I was burdened with. If I
cried, if I let on how hurt I was, if I'd even been able to put into
words how that comment made me feel worthless and less of a person, I'd
be told that I needed to learn to take a joke.

      Mom had needs that were more important than mine. While I hope
she's found what she needed and wish her the best, we'll never be close
because I could never trust her to protect me at a time I needed
protection. That's just the way it is now. And while life is too short
to dwell back there, I still have to work at dispelling the perceptions
I was given while growing up. Words do hurt.

Batman