TheBanyanTree: hair daze

Sachet Sachet at iline.com
Mon May 5 19:34:12 PDT 2003

My 13 year old son, Zach, is very particular about his hair. Which is
nice I guess, since a few years ago it was a challenge to get him to
wear clothes that matched, much less comb his hair.

He likes experimenting with different looks, as I've previously
mentioned. I'm fine with whatever he wants because he (like his mother)
is a bit of what some might call a control freak (a rather rude term,
but perfectly apt <wry grin>).  Therefore, signs of spontaneity and
free-spiritedness are greatly encouraged.

I don't always get the hair thing though, to be honest. I offer my
opinion when asked, which is quite frequently; as in anytime he steps
out of the house.

I have found that I can't get by with a simple complimentary comment.
Nope. He needs me to add depth and precise details to my observations.

So just a bit ago, as I am trying to complete some business on the
computer, he comes up to me and asks me what I think of his hair style.
I have two choices - spiked or not-spiked. I go with not-spiked, because
his hair is very, very, very, very short now.

[Why you ask? Well. He asked me to trim his hair last week and I was a
wee bit preoccupied at the time and he asked me to make it really short.
Did you know that one small mis-snip with the scissors can turn into a
real problem if you hurriedly try to fix that one small mis-snip and
before you know it, you've lost control of the whole snipping situation
and so you run to the phone to call a good friend who fortunately
happens to own a hair salon and although she can't rescue you that very
second before your son sees his poor lil' haid, she can fit you in the
next day asap. And thankfully, said son sees the humor of it all and
merely tells his friends that it's been a bad hair day. The next day
when we went into the hair salon he figured it would be the perfect time
to try one of those really short buzz cuts, and so now he looks like a
tough little mini-Marine. <g> He loves it! After about a week or so it's
grown out just enough for him to be able to have some styling options.]

That's how we ended up with him asking me spiked or unspiked. Oy.  I
gave him my opinion that spiked looked great and went well with his
t-shirt, , jeans, earrings and figaro necklace. (I have learned to throw
in these little details to make it easier on myself.) Well, dang, that
wasn't detailed enough. So he went with unspiked and the following self
critique....

"It's spiked enough to not look too spiked, but enough to look slightly
spiked with that rough out of the water look."

Oy, and then some.

;-)

...Sachet (still sane but not by a wide margin)