TheBanyanTree: Seeking Overseas Volunteer Opportunity

pat.martin pat.martin at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 13 16:13:12 PDT 2003

Hi Gang:

I am a recovering Type "A" personality, and my life is in a state of transition.  I have just 'let go' of my good paying government job and am looking to change my life.

Like many people, I have all of the material things I need (more than enough), but I am unfulfilled.  Achieving the 'American (or Canadian) Dream' just doesn't do it for me.  I believe that our society is misguided, and too much emphasis is put on acquiring possessions and striving to achieve more.

My definition of success has changed.  It no longer means having a good-sized bank account, a nice house and a decent vehicle.  As I near fifty, success means making a difference in the world, helping others and sharing my love - I have a lot of love to give.

I've always known that my purpose in life is to help others but I got lost somewhere along the way. I aspired towards society's ideals rather than being true to my heart.  I'm not a kid anymore; time is running out.  If I am to make a difference in the world, I need to get moving in the right direction.

At this time, I am looking for an overseas opportunity to help out at an orphanage or teach English to elementary-aged children.  I see myself spending time with disadvantaged children, hugging them, giving them the validation they need in order to gain self-esteem, giving them hope.  I am most interested in working in Central or South America or Europe.

I've been using the internet to research volunteer opportunities abroad, but discovered that most organizations expect people to pay significant monies to volunteer.  Somehow that just doesn't seem right.  If I am willing to travel abroad on my own dollar, I feel it is reasonable to expect to be provided with a place to sleep and minimal payment (just enough to live on.)

If anyone is aware of an overseas opportunity like this, please let me know.  Thanks!

Pat Martin