TheBanyanTree: Spam as a reflection of life

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Wed Jun 11 14:22:18 PDT 2003

Spam - gotta hate it, clutters up the in-box, but let's take a closer look
at it. Surely, the content is based on a semi-rational analysis of what
people want in today's world (or at least in today's online world).

Yesterday's batch of emails consisted of the following:
- cash advance service (presumably at the very favourable interest rate of
about 150%)
- filter for X-rated content on the Net
- jaw brace to cure sleeping problems
- "The One Minute Millionaire" (get rich quick method?)
- Human Growth Hormone
- free DVD player
- something incomprehensible in Chinese (no photos)
- free meter for diabetes patients on Medicare (not stated what sort, but I
assume it's a blood-sugar meter)
- mortgage brokerage service x 2
- the last flashlight I'll ever need
- "someone wants to meet YOU" introduction service
- online auctions for over 2000 items per day
- online MBA from the American Graduate School of Management @ Lansbridge
University
- fast-track college degrees with "College911" (hmm, that would look good on
the resume)
- a piece of software to speed up my computer (to download the spam faster?)

This was a pretty good day - no products to look younger, get a bigger
bust/p*nis, stimulate my love-life, and no cheap drugs.

So what does this say about me? That I'm a snoring, short, single person who
usually doesn't have a flashlight that works when I need it, might have
learnt to read Mandarin, is considering further education, probably eats too
much sugar, would like more money, is looking at buying a house, likes a
bargain, and swears at her computer coz it's too slow.

ALL TRUE except for being single, and even that's a fairly recent change.
Amazing! Sad to say, they actually do have us pegged...though my shaky
Mandarin abilities have long gone. How appropriate that I receive all this
primarily because I occasionally buy horoscopes via the Net. These guys know
more about me than any astrologer!

Anita