TheBanyanTree: LOTRwulf

Mike Pingleton pingleto at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 10 20:03:34 PDT 2003

Inspired by the epic Beowulf, and John Hartford's classic song "I Would Not Be
Here".  I only wrote out three verses because, well, it could go on for a long
time.  I have to go to bed some time.

now come hear the tale of a hobbit named Frodo
a halfling, a hero of epic proportions
who left his warm hobbit hole under the hillside
on account of a ring he received from his uncle
who found it one morning while under a mountain
he matched wits with Gollum and was rescued by riddles -

now the going of Frodo was goaded by Gandalf
returned to the Shire to perceive the ring's purpose
revealed by the presence of fiery letters
that ran 'round the ring when retrieved from the embers
not even the wizard would whisper the words there
the doom of the Dark Lord not foolishly uttered -

the sobered young halfling made ready to travel
on the road out his door that went on ever onward
with an eavesdropping gardener by name of Sam Gamgee
and two more hobytla named Merry and Pippin
and Fredegar Bolger, who served as a decoy
deceiving Dark Riders at the house in Crickhollow...