TheBanyanTree: touching base

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Tue Jun 10 14:34:50 PDT 2003

Hello people,

Been hiding in the undergrowth and peeping out occasionally to see what
you're all up to.  Life is busy but generally good for me. I will start
posting again soon, have the guidelines changed much?

My current challenge is to try and steer my career back to freelance
writing, the thing I really love, as I keep getting swept up in the
corporate current. However there is a dilemma, of course. I am good at the
corporate work, and it pays very good compensation for activities that are
usually not particularly nourishing. I enjoy meeting new people - I always
meet at least one person who will become a friend, and who makes life at
work fun. (This is sufficient to compensate for the dull, the sad, the lost,
and the odd few who are downright obnoxious).  In fact I need to be around
people, I am not very well suited to being isolated. And occasionally there
is something that teaches me something new.

I guess it comes down to the fact that no situation in life is really
completely good or bad - no matter how bad it seems, there is always some
small thing that keeps us there. However, how easy is it to move with the
current?  Is it really true that when a situation is right for us, the
universe/God makes it easy for us to follow that path - we just have to
accept that what WE want is not really our path? I can't quite reconcile it,
as I know there is growth in some struggle, but which struggle do I choose?
The struggle of making ends meet and paring down my lifestyle to do the work
I really love, or the struggle of learning to love something that pays well
but doesn't offer creative nourishment, the pay-off being I can then afford
to do great things like travel which nourish me in a different but equally
satisfying way?

I doubt that I'll ever come to a cut-and-dried conclusion. If anyone else
has worked this out, let me know!

Anita
xxxx