TheBanyanTree: The Week Ahead

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 05:59:52 PDT 2003

It’s like all the stars and planets are going to be aligned and pointing at
this week of June 8, 2003.  This week is one of those weeks I’d like to
skip.  Can I pull the covers over my head and burrow deep into my bed and
will someone wake me up next Saturday morning?

I’m a creature of habit.  I function best when I know what to expect from
one day to the next.  I made a major change in my routine about a month ago
and moved my work out time from the afternoon to the early morning.  Well,
that change is going to be tested, because my club is closing for a week.  I
can go to other clubs, but it’s a hassle because each club is laid out
differently and I have to spend time finding out where everything is, etc.
Whine, whine, whine.  I’m going to try the club near where I work.  I’ve
never been to that club before, so I’m needlessly worrying about it and will
to continue to worry about it until tomorrow morning when I actually start
working out there.

This week is my dad’s memorial service.  My died in Florida in March.  He
was cremated and we’ll be burying the ashes in my mom’s and grandma’s plot
on Thursday.  My brother managed to contact our old pastor and we’ll meet
with him on Tuesday.  I dread doing this, because this pastor lives in an
outer suburb and I’m going have to drive through construction and rush hour
just for a brief meeting.  But I’m glad this pastor will do the memorial
service.  He knew my parents and my dad was an active member in the church.
Nothing is worse than going to a funeral service and you can tell the
minister didn’t know the person.  The service sounds so hollow.  This pastor
did a beautiful service when my mom died.  Many kudos to my brother for
making the effort to find this pastor.

I sent out “announcements” to friends and relatives a couple of weeks ago.
So it will be a trip down memory lane for me with good and bad memories.  I’
ll have to interact with my family which I don’t like doing very much.  My
sister is one of these touchy people who I have to walk on eggshells around.
If I say one thing “wrong,” she blows up.  It will be an emotional time for
all of us, but my sister was closer to my dad than me or my brother.  I’ll
really have to watch my mouth around her this week.

I’ll suck it up and get through it.  It will probably be one of the last
major family functions I’ll have to deal with.  My grandparents are all gone
and now my parents are gone, too.  I’m the oldest living generation.  Yikes!

It seems the way these dreadful weeks go, is that after all the worrying and
hand wringing is done, the events aren’t too bad and I’ll get through them
OK.  And before I know it, I’ll be waking up next Saturday morning with
everything to look forward to.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.skywaybpw.org
Skyway Business and Professional Women
Working women connecting.

http://www.bpwmn.org

Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two
most beautiful words in the English language.
~Henry James