TheBanyanTree: Hunting

RJ Fernalld srfern at bcn.net
Tue Jul 29 07:34:16 PDT 2003

Hunting

She went hunting for a life among the possibilities
and found only remnants of her old man's unrequited wishes.
His selfish desires drove her dreams till the nightmares took over.
The endless yawning failures gave some solace when
She learned that success itself is a  dismal goal...a hope for fools.

The bedside manner for ten bucks an hour rang less hollow
than the fleeting smile returned by death. The dying seemed less frantic
than she.
A one bedroom cell on Roxbury...one lamp, one bed, one plate
Carried fine decor to a height unmatched by disease and disinfectant.
He took her and laughed. She became the unnamed, the unwanted,  the unaware.

To pray for death is easy, to feel it just out of reach is hell.
Her legs are unsightly and this track of lies goes nowhere unbidden...
And just out of reach death taunts and titters, and she float again
Hunting for a life among the possibilities finding remnants of
his old little girl's unrequited wishes.

Here's the movable type that cannot move her, back again like a hoary frost
Colliding with the ankle deep blood she shed in vain.
'Get back here you son of a bitch! You won't unnerve me again!
This time I win...this time you scream...this time you fall upon MY sword!
This time you pray for death as I have...this time you fear the night'.

No answer can come from this, but then... no question was asked
'I saved the black pain for your nightmare old man...
You drank of my blood-pain with glee, now you will taste your own.
Now you will hunt for life and find only remnants.
Remnants of your old little girl's unfulfilled dreams.'

copyright R J Fernalld 2003