TheBanyanTree: The phone call

LLDeMerle imijri at twcny.rr.com
Sat Jul 19 13:48:17 PDT 2003

The phone rang and to my surprise, an automated voice told me that this
was a collect phone call from

"Stephen."

and asked me if I would accept the charges.  I said yes and there was a
long silence.  I finally understood that he was waiting for me to speak.

"Hello!"

"Hi!"

Another long silence.

"How are you?"

"Good. There's a lot of stuff going on up here."

"Yes?"

"A lot of people are here, lined up to use the phone."

"Everyone's calling him."

"Yeah."

"Are you having a good time?"

"Yes.  I did Challenge Valley!!"

Later, Kevin asks, "Is that the thing where they all come out at the end
covered in mud?"

I put my head down on the table and groan.

"Oh, PROBobLY."

"Hee-hee," he laughed.

We later learned that the dirtiest one out wins.

"Are you working on your swimming merit badge?"

"No.  Archery and ASTRONOMY!  When I get home I have astronomy things to
do, like make a chart of the phases of the moon."

"Fun! Did you get my letters?"

"I've been getting one like every DAY!"

"Well, you won't get any more, you'll be home soon."

"Yeah.  Oh, something happened," Stephen said.  "I cut my finger."

"Did you have to go to the nurse or the hospital and get stitches?"

"No.  Mr. Troast knew how to bandage it up."

"Okay."

"Well, I have to go so someone else can call home."

"It was good to talk to you."

"It was good to talk to YOU, too!"

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

"See ya Saturday."

"See you Saturday."

I feel like Obi-Wan.  Anyway, it was good to hear from my little niblet,
he will probably have grown a foot in the week he was gone. On the way
to meet the other scouts to leave for camp, he asked,
What's an adolescent?  Exactly?"

Kevin and I looked at one another and thought hard.  You could see the
strain on our faculties at that hour of the morning.  Ever the deep
thinker and passenger philosopher, Stephen had served up another
exercise for me.  I refrained form saying that his father was a perfect
example.  He's very concerned about where he "fits in," what is assigned
terminology is, as well as how many days 'til the next birthday.

Anyway, today is the day, he comes home this evening and we've changed
his room.  As Kevin says,

"The room he will recognize not."

:)