TheBanyanTree: A Jaunt in the Wild - Something I Sorely Needed

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Fri Jul 18 21:52:29 PDT 2003

My work had me down in south Florida this week.  One job that I had to
do unexpectedly was shorter than originally planned and I had a free
afternoon with nothing more to do than make sure that I was on the east
coast of south Florida in time to get to a new account by 07:00.
Ahead was a four hour drive from where I was to the location on the
east coast of Florida.

My mind hit on a plan.   I would travel down US 27 through the "heart"
of Florida and and stop here:  www.fisheatingcreek.com  along the way,
leave there at dark thirty, making it to Boca Raton by midnight or so,
get up the following morning, and then work that account at 7:00 am.

And man, oh man, was I glad that I did!  I have traveled in south
Florida on business for the last 7 years or so.  Every year I 've told
myself that I  have to pack a small fishing rig and take the time to do
some fishing in the canals or under overpasses, or bridges in the area
when I am driving and have time to stop for a few minutes to check out
the fishing.  I have never done it until this year.

I stopped in at a Walmart before I got to Fisheating Creek and bought
some tackle and an ultralight rod and reel.  The rod is a two piece
unit that I can pack inside my soft suitcase (if I bend the rod pieces
slightly).  Perfect for this and future trips, I thought.

I rented a canoe (half day rate) and put into the creek.  Beautiful way
to spend an afternoon is all I can say.  Scads of wildlife,  beautiful
strong-brew tea-stained waters,  fun fishing (I caught two bass, not
huge, but fun to get in the boat after they fought hard to stay "free",
and jumped repeatedly trying to throw the hook -- P.S.  I immediately
released them back to the dark waters from whence they came).  Anything
caught on that little ultralight rig feels bigger anyway.  It was raw
nature at its best.  Only way it could have been better would have been
to have someone with me to share it with.  And alligators, my oh my
were there alligators!  The place was wall-to-wall  'gators!

At one place the creek narrows (around mile 20) and is only a few yards
wide.  Come across a big 'gator in the water there and you won't soon
forget it.  You could almost touch 'em (but please keep your hands in
the canoe).  Nothing in the world like being in the narrow part of the
creek and have a 10 foot long 'gator roll over in the water beside you
unexpectedly. You'll swear at first that he's comin' in the boat with
you.  At that point you'll be needin' a change of underwear. (Remember
to pack a spare unless you want to go "freestylin' " ;-)

So I did it and loved it and want to go back when I don't have a hectic
schedule.  Sundown and darkness setting on the creek is a beautiful
thang.  The sights, smells and sounds are wild, pure and natural . . .
and cathartic to a lost soul like me.

And then, on the way back (the four hour drive from Boca back to the
west coast of Florida) I stopped at one of the hundreds (thousands
maybe?) of canals alongside the roads.  Used the little ultralight rig
again and caught bass, tilapia, bream, red-eared sunfish, oscars and
some other fish that I don't the name of (some imported exotics now
"native" to the area).  I caught them until I ran out of time, and my
arms and hands ached from the effort, almost putting my catching the
plane back home in jeopardy.  It was almost too much fun to stop.

It was so much fun I must now pack that ultralight rig on all trips.
There's more fishing needing to be done in my life, that I know, for
sure.   There are many more places like Fisheating Creek that I need to
take the time to experience.    I've just got to take the time.

    bd
     -----