TheBanyanTree: An Admin request

paul paul at remsset.com
Thu Jul 10 21:53:37 PDT 2003

  Please set your mail program to send to the Tree in "plain text".

  It may be as simple as opening your address book and for your entry for
TheBanyanTree, clicking a box next to "send in plain text".

  Why?  I have a couple of reasons.

  It's silly to send a message in HTML or Rich Text (or whatever your mail
program calls it) when plain text will do....... and at about half the
message size.  Why send a 22 kb message when the same exact message in
plain text is 8 kb?   Sure, colored text and background pictures are fun,
but you tell the story with your words, not with your colored text, right?
What is the difference?  Have you ever clicked "view source" on a web page?
There's a lot of stuff in < >'s there.  HTML mail is the same way.

  Which brings me to reason #2...

  We have folks in the Tree that do not use mail programs like Outlook or
Outlook Express or Eudora or etc.  They do mail a different way... they
telnet to a server and read their mail in something that looks like what
you see in DOS when you type "edit".  Why?  I don't know.  It works for
them and some things in life are mysteries.
But, we get back to the "view source" question.....  they have to try to
read what is in effect the source code of a web page.  Ick!

  If nothing else, send plain text just to have mercy on the folks in rural
areas that get their telephone service on barbed wire fencing. . . . . .

  A couple of benefits are that the mail you save uses less space on your
computer and that you can send and receive mail quicker.

  Thank you for reading this.  Send any comments, questions, or complaints
to me or the admin address, not the Tree.

  I wish I had a real story.  I could BS you with my current "upper level
career".  Telling about fixing the barn roof and then re-roofing the
incubator bldg.with sheet metal and playing with kittens during breaks and
describing some of the interesting cuts I have acquired from the sheet
metal and the antics of my sorta stupid (and a few very horny) chickens
would be boring.  It's entertaining if you are living it but the telling is
dull.  But that's what I have been doing.  It's hot here, well past
"perspire" and far into "sweat" when on the roof.  I'm getting a nice tan.
Unfortunately, new sheet metal is like a mirror and reflects more than
light.  Wearing socks is a good thing, they soak up the sweat so you don't
have to walk around in shoes full of water.  Anyway, it's boring around
here and I'd rather risk sliding off the roof in a puddle of sweat than
work up there in the winter with numb fingers and toes.  Too bad the roof
isn't quite finished and tomorrow's forecast is for a high of 95F (that's
about the same as 100 C (trust me, I'm right) ).   So I'd best go to bed
now so I can start before the heat.

  So what are /you/ up to lately?

paul

   http://remsset.com

   Q.  Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
   A.  That depends on whether by "stamp out" you mean "eliminate" or
       "reproduce rapidly in great quantity."           -- Usenet FAQ