TheBanyanTree: I'm ready

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Wed Dec 31 06:01:47 PST 2003

Tuesday December 30, 2003

I'M READY

When I opened my blinds this morning it was to receive a very stern stare
from our neighbour across the road. Withering, it was. Dripping with
disapproval. Quite made my day. Thinking about it the only possible reason
can be that we are the first to take down our Christmas tree and and other
decorations, even to the extent of removing the wreath from the porch. So,
for us, Christmas is over, much enjoyed, but put to one side before it gets
all dusty and boring.

You can't do that when you've got kids, of course. The baubles, gew-gangles
and old crêpe paper that accompany Christmas have to deck the halls right
the way through to Twelfth Night [Jan 5, eve of Epiphany] when you've got
kids. They expect it as of right. I'd be heartily sick of dusty decorations
by then, so I've some understanding of the reason behind the withering
glance. Understanding, yes, but small sympathy. Like they say, Christmas is
all about children and, if you decide to produce the little brutes, you
really ought cheerfully to come to terms with the reality that kids are not
just for Christmas Day, they are there throughout the whole perishin'
season. And way, way beyond.

I must say it was a relief to have the living room back to normal. The tree
occupied an area we keep clear for the specific reason of creating a bit of
open space. You need to work hard to create the feeling of open space in a
modern living room. Large they are not.

There were an awful lot of withering looks down at the Trostre retail park,
too. I suspect that the venom is caused by people being cooped up indoors
with their loved ones for the past few days, and the reason they were
promenading was more to do with a desperate need to get out of the house
than with a desire to go shopping. They wander wearily between the stores,
oozing discontent and seething with an unsatisfied and unsatisfiable
longing to kill someone. Rather like the zombies in 'Night of the Living
Dead' or some such dreary movie. Families are fun at Christmas, or so it
would seem.

Me, I'm enjoying the blank days before New Year. I've done almost all the
things I wanted to do and I'm ready for anything that 2004 may bring. And
I've no desire whatsoever to kill anyone at all.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man