TheBanyanTree: Just a Christmas Eve Thought or Two

R J Fernalld srfern at verizon.net
Wed Dec 24 18:18:13 PST 2003

These winter times of holidays and remembrance are not always the best of
times. Often the unmet hopes and expectations come to bear, the loves lost
and unknown are more painful and our lack of anything seems more acute. How
often we turn to the deity with anguish and ask "Why? Why me? Why don't all
the good guys wear white hats? Why have you left me in this cesspool of
doubt, destitution and despair?" We demand explanation from the Creator,
laying the blame at his feet that our situation sucks, the injustices sting
or that these deaths were unnecessary. It is all too human to do this. Who
hasn't raised a fist at the heavens and screamed "WHY, Goddamn You...WHY?"

The answer to this demand? The answer is silence. Why? I believe that it is
in the silence as we confront the universe that the answer is revealed. God,
no matter the guise, is not the one who wounds, but the healer. He sends not
abhorrent situations into the lives of men. Men are victims of each other,
not of their creator. Men cause disease, famine, pain, war, violence to
flourish in the world. Men are the arbiters of peace at times as well,
though with less success. It will do no good to demand the answers to man's
victimization of his own species from God. He is as anguished as we are.

Demand your answers from yourself and your own kind. Demand from the current
governments and world populations an explanation as to why the Middle East
is still a killing field. Demand of the locality where you live an
explanation why the invisible homeless still inhabit the streets as the Jew
and Gentile both walk past. Be demanding and becoming accountable of
yourself...why have you not done the things you dreamed you would? Why are
you still in pain about the past, the present, the future? What are your
options? Make a move, solve your situation with the brains and courage that
dwell richly in you and others. The possibilities abound even if they are at
present, unseen.

And what about God? What is His/Her role? God's role is that of the ever
present, ever flowing comfort the world cannot give. His arms are the cradle
we can fall into and know it will soothe. He is the lullaby Mama used to
sing, the warmth from a winter kitchen that smells of pie and bread, He is
the always ready ear, the understanding parent, the constant companion and
friend. His role is unchanged from the beginning...He knows and cares. He
can shore up your flagging spirit, mend hearts and renew the dying hope.

In this particular season of joy and pain, let us learn to demand of
ourselves a new personal honesty. Let us without guilt, shame or self denial
see clearly who we are, what we can be and take action. And in the doing
gather the comfort and true understanding that is ours for the asking. He
aches to heal, He loves unconditionally the Jew, Gentile, disenfranchised,
the publican, sinner and unbeliever alike. No denomination necessary...no
sacrifice is demanded...it is love freely given....that's God.

Happy New Year.

copyright 2003 R J Fernalld