TheBanyanTree: Shadows on the wall

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 08:11:11 PST 2003

I was up early this chilly morning (Yes, it gets chilly even in Florida). I
thought I'd check my email and work a bit before heading out, giving the sun
enough time to warm things up.  (Stop laughing, fifty is COLD here)

The sun was beaming in through the blinds and it felt good as I read my
Cheersmail. Then, there was a scratching at the window screen, and shadows
skittered across the wall in the sun's square. I was busy and didn't look up at first.
But, the dancing shadows intrigued me.

On looking more closely, I discovered it was a pair of tiny anoles (lizards
that inhabit Florida's bushes and shrubs by the millions)  It was too cold out
for courting, but this determined pair had found a nice spot between window
pane and screen, where the air was sunwarmed and cozy.

In this not-so-secluded love nest, they played, flirted, he displayed his
sexy throat flare and she acted coy. All the while, their shadows dashed and
danced on the wall.  So, on this brisk morning, when other anoles were holed up
under leaves or loose soil, this amourous couple had found their solar-heated
honeymoon cottage.  Their shadows on the wall told the whole story.

NancyLee