TheBanyanTree: What I Learned from Eddie Mittler

paul paul at remsset.com
Tue Dec 9 06:25:42 PST 2003

What I learned from Eddie Mittler
begins in a backwater burg
next to Rattlesnake Gulch
where we were stranded, me with
crazed people and a drunk, him
with a normal family
who behaved themselves

I was always sad and anxious,
he was always happy and smiling
a disposition sweet as a well-fed
baby's, he was a boy scout in a fraternity
jacket, a party-boy with lovely manners, a deep well
of kindness; masses of contradictions and I always remembered him
as a point of relief in a gloomy, hellish parade of days.

II

Last night, I learned that Eddie died, a year ago
Thanksgiving, while families celebrated bounty and
togetherness, Eddie shivered in seizures after
walking away from detox where he drank long into
his short future and nature trounced nurture.

LLDeMerle