TheBanyanTree: Hound Dog Blues

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Wed Dec 3 14:09:44 PST 2003

Topics Not Mentioned by Pet Shop Sales Staff:

Thanksgiving holidays found the Voof-Pup (Ruffy, the all-around, super
deluxe, mixed breed, hound dawg) with an upset in his breadbasket.

On the return trip from the Florida Panhandle, about 10 miles from
Grandma's house - with about 200 miles more to go in the journey - his
tummy began to rumble.  I could hear it and thought that a little
strange. After a few minutes he let out a silent, code red, biotoxin in
a gaseous form.  I thought that he had either pooped on the seat or I
had stepped in something.  I checked the seat and it was clean.  I
checked my shoes and they were not the source either.

"Ruffy!" I hollered.  "What have you done to me?" I said as I rolled
down the window in the freezing weather to try to dilute the deadly
biotoxins that drifted with mortal abandon in the cab of the truck.
His reaction? He just looked at me with an Alfred E Neuman, "What me
worry?" stare.  I thought about putting him in the back of the truck but
the weather was too cold for that.  He had to ride shotgun with me up
front and I was stuck with that.

For 200 miles I had to endure the most foul farts that ever emanated
from betwixt any dog's anal glands.  He'd let them rip, those silent
killers, every 10 to 15 minutes and by the time I got home I was
chilled to the bone from the fresh air I had to let in, and my nose,
well, it felt like it had had a corkscrew run up it.

We finally got home and I took him outside later for his bathroom break
and he produced something he never has:  a very loose bowel movement.
Oh, I thought, he's just got a sour stomach. I thought that was the end
of that.

Monday morning I went to his cage to let him out and was greeted with
malodorous salutations in the form of liquid dog poop in his cage -
something he has never done before.  I let him out and he tracked the
stuff all over the carpet before I could corral him.  After cleaning
the carpet, and his dog box, and his bed "linen", and him, I put him
back in it with a fresh bunch of bed linen.  I took the old bed linen
to the washer, ran it through a cycle and then dried it.   Just in time
for him to soil the bedding that I had put in earlier in the morning.

Today is the third day that he has the runs.  Took him to the vet
because I was starting to think he might have parvo or something. Vet
says that he has enteritis from eating different foods during
Thanksgiving,  prescribed antibiotics, a bland diet and rest.

I have washed his filty linen for the umpteenth time in the last 3 days
and I am sick of smelling dog poop.  I have cleaned the spots on the
carpet where he couldn't quite hold off until I could get him out the
door and into the yard.  I've smelled so much dog manure that I swear I
smell it in my dreams and that doesn't make for restful sleep, let me
tell you.

Ruffy, my dog of dogs, is looking less and less like a pet to me today
and more like a barkin',  liquid-poop-squirtin', olfactory-rending, out
of control hound from pit of hell itself.

The vet says that this too shall pass.  I agree (but let it pass out in
the yard, please, Ruffy, please!)

  bd
   ---