TheBanyanTree: Rainy Rainy Season

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 12:04:05 PDT 2003

It's the rainy season here in Florida.  Besides our usual Summer afternoon
showers, we have our bedtime thunderstorms, our wake-up typhoons, our
time-for-lunch squalls, and our everlasting the-dog-needs-to-go-out cloudbursts.

First crack of lightning, Snickers announces his frantic need to go out. But
first, he has to stop at the water bowl to drink enough to keep him and me out
there until thoroughly drenched.  One thing you must know about Papillions.
They are delightful little fur fluffs, but when wet nearly disappear.  He goes
out a cloud of wispy hair and comes back a tiny snarl of soggy fur the size of
something to stop a sink drain.

My pond is full to overflowing.  "Partly cloudy" means two inches of rain.
"Fifty-fifty percent means three or more inches.  I empty the rain guage every
day as it tops the rim, at five inches.  I don't know why they can't grow rice
here.

Cars become waterlogged and stalled going down the road, leaving a wake
behind them. I'm lucky to have a mini van with it;s higher ground clearance.

This morning, I was having my second cuppa, sitting on the front porch and
watching the rain. A white egret hunted along the shore of my pond. The tree
frogs became the Tabernacle Choir, tadpoles hatched out in the goldfish pond and
were quickly pursued. But the flowers, MG the flowers. Huge and weighed down
with the wet, and the jasmine vines grew even as I watched, trellissing their
fragrant flowers up across the garage eaves. The rain must have washed seeds
onto the driveway, because wild daisies are sprouting everywhere, flowering in
two or three days.

I sat on my porch and watched the rain, glad I didn't have to go out. But, if
I did, it's warm, and I don't mind.

nancyLee