TheBanyanTree: Sympathy and respect

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Fri Aug 22 01:37:48 PDT 2003

Thursday August 21, 2003

SYMPATHY AND RESPECT

There are some days when I'm profoundly grateful I no longer have to go out
to work for my living. I hope never to forget the way it felt, after a
restless night when sleep did not come, dragging myself off to the office
when body and soul wanted so badly to hide away and spend the day repairing
the damage. And those were always the days when a heavy meeting with
unpleasant aggressive people was scheduled. I would sit there doing my best
to examine, define and satisfy their demands while secretly wanting to run
away to some quiet spot, leaving them to simmer in their own sourness.

Now, sometimes, I sit in the early morning at my study window, watching my
neighbours pile into their cars and go off to chase the tigers and toads of
their daily work, and wonder if they feel like that. And, if they do,
hoping they'll get through their day without lasting harm.

So, anyway, I didn't sleep last night. Not more than an uneasy half-hour
here and there, anyway. It started off with a hip joint that would not
settle happily no matter how I positioned myself. Then it went on to
bathroom calls, on the half-hour, every half-hour. Eventually, when it
began to grow light, I gave up and dragged myself down for coffee and a
couple of hours writing. I hoped, against all experience, that work would
wake me up and get me going.

Basic chores done, I gave up and went to sit in the kitchen, where I
slumped in my chair, yawning and nodding.

"Bad night?" asked Graham.

"Yup."

"Do you have to go out today?"

"Not really."

"Why don't you put your feet up, then?"

I did just that, all day, coming to in time to cook dinner and watch a
little TV. Then I started yawning again.

And so to bed, thankful once more that when I'm tired I can rest, no matter
what time or what day it might be. And with feelings of sympathy and
respect for those who, as I used to do, have to drag themselves off to work
when they feel the same way I did today.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man