TheBanyanTree: Drips - Epilogue

WolfSinger wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 20 12:19:39 PDT 2003

After trying repeatedly over the last day and a half to turn on water
in a sink with no faucet, I decided to bite the bullet today and go to
Lowe's for a new one.

With some trepidation, I took the rubbing of the existing holes and
headed for the plumbing aisle.  I found exactly the faucet I wanted, so
I figured it was probably the most expensive one on the lot.  To my
surprise, it was one of the least expensive.  That was almost too good
to be true, but I do have good luck occasionally, so I went ahead and
picked it up.

Reading the abbreviated instructions on the back of the box, I
discovered I would need new feed tubes.  These new faucets have screw
on bits instead of needing to be welded like my old Delta.  Whew!  That
was one of the things I was fretting about, since I've never welded
anything.

Conveniently across the aisle from the faucets was a shelf full of
lines for running to faucets.  As I was looking at them, I realized
that I had no idea what size threads were on the faucet, or on the
pipes under my sink.  I started to undo the faucet from the box to try
them out, when a Lowe's employee stepped around the corner, took one
look at me and said, "You'll need 1/2 inch for that faucet, and 3/8 is
standard for the water line end."  "Uh, thanks!"  So I guessed at the
length, adding a couple of inches for good measure, and picked up the
lines I needed, hoping beyond hope that they would fit.

Back in the bathroom, I undid the faucet box and pulled everything out.
 Oh, so *that's* what "with drain" meant - it actually has a
replacement drain with the sink!  Duh.  I set that aside since, as we
discovered yesterday, the drain was still working fine.  The faucet
also had large locking nuts to hold the thing in place, instead of thin
threaded rods and large metal washers.  I set the faucet in place with
the gasket under it, and it fit right into the existing holes.  I
screwed the locking nuts on.  Then I spent a few minutes reading the
instructions again, since I knew it couldn't possibly *really* be that
easy.  No, it really was that easy.  The water lines fit perfectly onto
the pipes under the sink, and only had an inch or so extra length to
reach the sink.  They screwed right onto the sink with no trouble.

"Ok," I thought, "here's where all Hell will break loose.  This has
been FAR too easy."  I turned the water back on, and voila! water came
out the tap!  No leaks, no drips, no dribbles.  Total time spent
installing: 10 minutes, even including the time spent re-reading the
instructions.

That's where it got tricky.  I had to connect the new drain closer to
the existing drain, and that took both hands.  If my cabinet were just
a bit larger, or if my arms were just a bit smaller, it would have
taken less time.  Still, it only took about 15 minutes, and I only had
to redo it once.  (Got the retaining clip on wrong.)

I'm now kicking myself for letting that other faucet drip and leak for
so long out of fear, but I'm very proud of myself for getting it done
without having to resort to demolition.

Think I'll get out the Wonder Woman outfit tonight.

;o)

Wolfie
aka
Laura