TheBanyanTree: Dry

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 17 06:21:51 PDT 2003

It feels cool this morning compared to yesterday’s heat and humidity.  I
think today is a temporary break and the oven will turn back on tomorrow.

The weather people are promising us real rain by the end of this week.  We
know how empty their promises are, but we can hope they’re right this time.
I can’t remember the last time we had rain.

Fortunately, we had an over abundance of rain this spring and early summer.
But sometime after the 4th of July, the faucet was turned off, and we haven’
t even had an errant drip.

Some people have given up on their lawns and the lawns have become straw.
Other people meticulously water their lawns and they’ve stayed a deep green.
Straw . . . green . . . straw . . . green – that’s what I see as I walk or
drive through my neighborhood.

My lawn has stayed green, because my house faces north and the front yard is
shady most of the time.  I water the front yard for a couple of hours once a
week if we don’t have rain.  It’s not a big yard, so I don’t have to drag
the sprinkler around from place to place.  One shot does the trick.

Our backyard doesn’t have grass.  Ray landscaped it a couple of years ago
and replaced the grass patches with walkways and gardens.  The backyard is a
small forest and we never could grow grass very well because no sun ever
reaches the ground.  I give the gardens a spray job several times a week, so
the flowers keep blooming not realizing there’s a serious drought going on
around them.

No matter how hot and dry it gets, I’m enjoying these dog days of August,
because the switch to fall turns on after Labor Day and summer will be a
fading memory.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com