TheBanyanTree: Adventure

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 06:09:36 PDT 2003

The Subaru is not in its usual parking spot in front of our crammed garage.
Ray can’t park his car in the garage, because there is no room for it amidst
all the stuff we toss in there.  So his car is customarily parked in the
driveway.  But he drove his car to the park and shuttle lot by the airport
and flew to Milwaukee to visit with his family, so there is lonely gap in
our driveway.

It’s just me rattling around in our empty house this weekend.  We need some
time apart, I say to myself.  We do everything together and we need a break.

Ray will be busy visiting with family, so I try to think of amazing
adventures I can have while he’s gone.  I imagine things I wouldn’t do while
he’s here.

I thought about taking a long bike ride, but it’s too hot and muggy for
that.

Am I brave enough to go to a club by myself and listen to jazz for a while?
No, because the shows usually start at 9 pm and I’m usually thinking of the
sandman by then.

Should I call old friends and beg them to spend time with me?  That seems
like an insulting thing to do.  Ray’s gone, so I’ll suddenly become aware of
other people.  Yeah, right.

I didn’t cry when I got home from work yesterday and walked into the Rayless
house.  Every other time he’s been gone, I’ve always burst into tears. Not
crying was a good start.  I’m accepting Ray’s absence as a normal thing.

I let the dogs outside and then got ready to go to . . . K-mart!

I never shop there, so that was an adventure.  I wanted to buy some new
sheets for our new bed and K-mart seemed to have lowest prices.  I picked
and poked around at the stuff and marveled at the incredibly low prices.  I
might have to put K-mart on my shopping agenda.

I got home and had a leftover dinner.  I checked email.  The dogs and I
settled in for a night of baseball and reading.  I went to bed right before
10 pm.  That would be about the time the jazz singer was in full vocal
stride, I’m sure.

My adventures today include laundry, vacuuming, cutting the grass, and
balancing the check book.  My grandsons and I will spend the muggy afternoon
at the water park.  Perhaps we’ll eat dinner at the Korean restaurant.

Tomorrow is also filled with adventure.  I’ll go work out at the club, sit
in the sauna for a while (as if I’m not in a sauna already), and then meet
my son for a long lunch.

Before I can blink my eyes, it will be Sunday night and time to begin the
mental preparation to go back to work on Monday.

I’ll come home from work on Monday and Ray will be home.  Then my life’s
real adventure will continue.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com