TheBanyanTree: Paulie's Poem

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:48:28 PDT 2003

A while back, I wrote a piece called "The Gift."  It was about my son's
best friend who died as a result of drug use and abuse.  It actually was
pulmonary edema but was aggravated by his excessive use of drugs.

Paulie fought a long, though unsuccessful battle against his disease.
We all hoped and prayed and hoped some more as each stage of the battle
became increasingly harder and the consequences more life threatening.

No one knew about his unstable heart.  Had we known, it is still
doubtful he could have been saved.

While cleaning Paulie's room, a paper was found neatly folded on his
desk with a cross carefully placed on top of it.  Yesterday, the
original document was handed to me and I was told I could keep it.  As I
opened it, I saw that it was a poem.  No one knows exactly when he wrote
it, but I want to share it's poignancy with you now.  I believe he found
his "place with no fear" and at long last his face is "brightened."

WHAT WENT WRONG?

What went wrong?  Its been so long?
I'm in this place.  Without a face.
I was ambitious.  But lost my wishes!
Over the years, blood shed and tears.
I have lost my light, and my will to fight.
But I must be strong, and move along.
There must be a place, to brighten my face.
A place with no fear, where blue skies are clear.
I hope I am near.  I can no longer steer.
The Lord is above me.  I know that thy loves thee.