TheBanyanTree: Peace, pees, pais, paiz, pes

Sachet Sachet at iline.com
Fri Apr 11 13:31:18 PDT 2003

I rarely offer my opinion on the newest war (unless asked), because to
do so is moot at this point, and 'tis guaranteed it will either offend
or hurt someone else, because we all differ within our various
viewpoints. Which is to be expected I think, because life is nothing if
not interesting and the people are the best part of it all. My choices
as an average citizen are what they've always been....to contact my
governmental representatives, including even the office of the
President/Prime Minister and to join organizations that support my
opinions. If I don't utilize at least those freedoms then all I am doing
is spouting off and really not effectively trying to change things. If
I'm not willing to direct my efforts either in support or opposition,
 to where my actions can have a realistic impact, than hot air is all
I'm producing and no one needs that blowing in their face. If I've
chosen to do these things, then I have to decide whether or not my
friends, neighbors and relatives wish or need to hear my viewpoints.
Especially in places or situations that do not lend themselves to
debates or pontificating.

It's been intriguing to listen to my teenage kids compose their own
thoughts about this whole situation. This is their first awareness of
our country being involved in a war. Some days they make blanket
statements without considering their words. Other days I can tell that
they've been researching the topic and contemplating their words before
they speak. I think that's the best thing I love the most about watching
them mature into adults; their thoughts and how they share them now. I
have to stop and consider my words before I voice them and they are
learning to do the same. We have learned to remember that many people we
come in contact with have relatives in the military and so their hearts
are going to be understandably sensitive.  We have learned to keep in
mind that some people we meet  live in countries other than the US. We
are learning to accept that peace is like a multifaceted prism and it
shines differently in an array of colors for every single person. We
have decided that we have to think,  _really_  stop and think; because
we are accountable for our words and for trying to peacefully integrate
ourselves within our community and our families....and even here in the
Tree.

We need bridges and mending, not chasm creating and bridge destroying,
hidden under a rainbow, ironically named Peace.

 From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Peace \Peace\, n. [OE. pees, pais, OF. pais, paiz, pes, F. paix, L. pax,
pacis, akin to pacere, paciscere, pacisci, to make an agreement, and
prob. also pangere to fasten. Cf. {Appease}, {Fair}, a., {Fay}, v.,
{Fang}, {Pacify}, {Pact}, {Pay} to requite.] A state of quiet or
tranquillity; freedom from disturbance or agitation; calm; repose;
specifically: (a) Exemption from, or cessation of, war with public
enemies. (b) Public quiet, order, and contentment in obedience to law.
(c) Exemption from, or subjection of, agitating passions; tranquillity
of mind or conscience. (d) Reconciliation; agreement after variance;
harmony; concord. ``The eternal love and pees.'' --Chaucer.

...Sachet