TheBanyanTree: Bad Pizza

Peter Macinnis macinnis at websterpublishing.com
Mon Apr 7 23:15:10 PDT 2003

From: <Spoonoid at cs.com>
To: <thebanyantree-remsset.com at lists.remsset.com>

>     So now I ask all of you experienced cooks and healthcare
professionals in
> The Tree, what's the story on cooking bad meat?  Will it make you
sick or
> just taste bad? What's the biochemistry for an upset tummy?

It can quite easily kill you.  Trust me -- I'm very good on poisons
and toxins, and depending on what was there, you can be very painfully
dead.  Or maybe not dead, but wishing you were.

This was known, by the way, to Chaucer: the Prologue to the 'Cook's
Tale' refers to a Jakke of Dover that the cook has sold after it has
been twice hot and twice cold, probably endangering his customers. The
Jack of Dover, as we would call it today, was probably a pie, but the
rest of Chaucer's pies are all of the feathered variety.

I had forgotten that -- thanks for the reminder!

peter