TheBanyanTree: The Eyes Have Spoken

LaRose Karr rosiebay at kci.net
Sun Apr 13 18:26:04 PDT 2003

I originally sent this email to my digest - so if anyone on the Banyan Tree wants to see the photos...email me privately and I will send them.

Blessings,
LaRose

I couldn't wait to tell you this story.  Saturday, April 12 was National Literacy Day.  Wal-Mart stores around the nation were promoting literacy by having published writers speak about literacy and reading to shoppers.

I signed up for two stores in my area.  As Paul Harvey would say, "Now for the rest of the story..."

After 9-11 there was a forward floating around the internet with the subject line, "The Eyes Have Spoken."  The title captured my attention and I was drawn to this email.  It was not one I could simply delete.  It was a very short account of a chance meeting between two strangers.

The story had such magnitude that the hair stand up on the back of my neck and I knew instinctively that this story must be told.

I did some digging and found the original sender.  It was a woman who lives not too far from my hometown.  We began corresponding by email.  Her name is Dixcie and I asked permission to get her story published.