TheBanyanTree: moving stuff around

Karen Cooper karenc at visi.com
Sun Apr 6 19:07:15 PDT 2003

I'm still reading around the Tree, especially in its fabulous
emu-tastic location.  Though I have to admit, I haven't been reading
*every* day.  But Paul's post on Wednesday about his moving things
around at home really struck a chord, 'cause that's what I've done
for the last several days.

We have a couple of spare bedrooms since the kids grew up and moved
out.  One's been a guest room and one's a library.  And our house has
a little breakfast room off the kitchen, too.  Since we moved here,
that little breakfast room has been my office.  I crammed into it an
amazing amount of stuff: books, desk, two computers, filing cabinet,
many small treasures, boxes filled with important treasures, hundreds
of PEZ dispensers.  You get the idea.  It's a space about 8 by 8
feet, and it has three doors and two large windows.  I hope you can
imagine how desperately crowded I was.

We decided to move my office up to the guest room.  There's twice as
much space, easily.  I could spread out my projects; it's an exciting
idea.  But this started an endless cascade that I just don't see the
end of.  To make room in the guest room, we needed to move the bed to
the library, and to make room for the bed in the library we need to
move the giant overstuffed chair to the breakfast room, and to make
room in the breakfast room we needed to move my desk and filing
cabinet up to the guest room but the bed left no room....

I stashed the bed in our room, and started moving things around.  I'd
asked some friends over to help and we ended up with five willing
folks.  Handy, when we found that we had to take off three doors to
get various pieces of furniture in and out of the rooms where they
were wanted.  But with all that help, it didn't really take that long
to loop around the progression, and now my old office is a charming
small sitting room, the library and guest room are combined, and I
have a great big new work space.

That space is completely unusable.  I'd emptied my shelves and
drawers into boxes so as make the furniture lighter to move and also
to put things away quickly.  But, the shelves in the former guest
room are covered with overflow books that should go into the library
(but there's no space for them; those shelves are filled) or into the
basement bookshelves (which is where the popular fiction and some
reference books live).  Unless the library gets culled or we come up
with a new strategy for putting things away, I can't use my new
office.  And that doesn't even begin to cover the problem of not
having an ethernet jack for my desk top computer.

Karen. [and, I already have some bags and boxes for the thrift store;
I'm getting rid of as much stuff as I can.  Anyway... I'm just
dropping in to report from the clutter wars]