TheBanyanTree: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Rob Springs Eternal twainfan at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 6 17:42:25 PDT 2003

[It was cold and blustery today. So I think it's a perfect day to share
these feelings I had on a bright and sunny day last week, to help those of
us back in a cold snap remember that brighter days are headed our way soon.
-RBM]

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

I want to belt out the Mr. Rogers tune at the top of my lungs, the weather
feels so nice, From the second I left the building, my senses were
pummelled with fresh air and sunshine, a stark contrast from the stale,
sealed window office I work in. There's a spring in my step today, an extra
bounce given to me by the bouncing wind. My hair tosses and brushes itself
above my eyes, revelling like a flag atop a pole in the breeze. (My tie
would join in the fun, but I have it secured so as to not interfere with my
hands as I try to write this down.)

If we were punished all winter with cold, dreary, snowy, sunless days, we
are blessed and forgiven in this fresh spring air.

Everything seems better to me. My long wait for late busses doesn't seem so
long anymore, as I read books in the fresh air. My apartment doesn't seem
so dank anymore, as I throw the only working window open full blast and
watch Willie Stargell's head bobble up and down, nodding in agreement that
all is right with the world. I can forget, with the cool air pushing out my
negative thoughts, that we are caught up in a war and world politics that
threaten these moments of pleasure like never before in the several billion
year history of this blue and green planet. Even my job, which has felt
bitterly oppressive (not unlike the weather outside) doesn't bother me as
much as it did before. The promise of spring and new life promising me that
I can pursue the dreams of a career I enjoy.

Yes, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, with the potential for many
more on the way.

Rob McMonigal
twainfan at earthlink.net
http://www.livejournal.com/users/trebro