TheBanyanTree: ANZAC Day is coming

Peter Macinnis macinnis at ozemail.com.au
Wed Apr 2 01:35:18 PST 2003

Last year, I visited Gallipoli in Turkey, the day before ANZAC Day, and
shot about 300 pics.  I have now selected 40 of the best, and a mate on the
other sude of Australia, Bryn Jones at Notre Dame University, used
Dreamweaver to put them online in some spare space.

Somebody noticed the other day that it was coming fast, what with Easter
and everything, so it is time to start pulling out the poems that will be
needed, the readings and so on -- and I mentioned I had been slack and done
nothing with my shots (except that my publisher is using them to illustrate
somebody else's book).  Anyhow, I got nagged off list, so go and look at
the first 30, located at http://www.ictpd.net/anzac/anzac.html

I recommend a close look at p_ataturk_english.jpg (read it!) and
p_turkmemorial3 or p_turkmemorial2 -- I could not get better shots of the
faces in the harsh light, but the symbolism of a grandfather and a
grand-daughter carrying flowers is heart-breaking.

See also the enthusiasm of Australians and New Zealanders for Simpson's
grave -- if you haven't heard of Simpson and his donkey, I guess we
Australians will need to educate you.  In l_simpsongrave4, Chris is in
jeans and dark glasses, NOT wielding the camera this time, slightly right
of centre.

The TV vans?  the next day was ANZAC Day at what the Turks have graciously
named Anzac Cove, and the Dawn Service would be beamed back to Australia.
 _--|\   Peter Macinnis, wordsmith, & science gossip,
/     \  William McGonagall Fellow in scansion adjustment, University
\.--._*  of Anson Bay, anapest exterminator, MCSE in iambic mechanics,
     v   http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm