TheBanyanTree: every last drop

tobie at shpilchas.net tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Feb 23 14:27:12 PST 2021

Monique my dear,

Your husband is wrong.  Well, he’s wrong about this person being pushed away.

	I would dispute your characterization that you’re not so smart.  All anyone has to do is read a sentence of yours and it’s obvious that your intelligence is the kind that doesn’t get measured in a linear fashion.  That whole idea, The Stanford Binet I.Q. test, is a blot on people’s lives.  Intelligence is not linear.  And yours, my dear, is all over the place. Your intelligence can seep into crevices and rise up walls. It can loosen heads that were screwed on too tight and open hearts that were shut long ago when the whole heart forest petrified.

	As for sensitive. From what you describe, it’s clear that like most things, sensitivity is relative.  And your relatives come in a variety of flavors, colors, depths and shapes don’t they.

	I would not base my judgment of sensitivity on someone who wants you to laugh about your childhood sexual abuse.  I know.  More people know than one would ever imagine.

	Life is what it is, yes.  We are set down here, spun off the double helix as it rotated swiftly following the mitosis dance.  A jumble of chromosomes, built in characteristics and then comes the soft wiring. Which can save or damn you, both.  My best friend in the world grew up with a paranoid schizophrenic mother. She was always being farmed out to friends or relatives who would take her when her mom was in the hospital. They were poor. When we walked home from school (I’ve known her that long) she’d have to go in and see if her mom was all right. She might be. She might not be. There was no stability. She had a step father of sorts who saw her as a divisive influence and blamed her for her mother’s mental issues.  My friend grew up smelling like a rose, kind and generous, wise and silly and plays the violin like an angel.  I know other people who had no trouble at all. Came from stable families who were supportive, no grand dysfunction. And they grew up twisted, mean and vengeful, broken.

	This sensitivity thing is systemic.  I’ve heard and read about how people on the autistic spectrum don’t pick up social cues, don’t have interest in others, can’t form attachments, and are generally insensitive socially.  I’m not going begging to differ. They are fracking wrong. I think it’s the opposite. I’ve watched Meyshe grow up and his sensitivity is pervasive. He cannot compartmentalize like the rest of the world seems to do so easily. He can’t know that there is suffering near or far and still say, "Well, yes I know there is suffering, but right now, I really do have to eat lunch." He feels everything so deeply that it’s too much.  With that kind of sensitivity, the only defense sometimes is shutting down completely. I’ve seen him do it.

	I’m interested in Russ’s little "observation thing".  We all have our own take on our too much of something. And I’d like to read his (I’m actually talking to you now, Russ).

	And ………….. you could always be a carrot.

Love,

Tobie