TheBanyanTree: Dee Churchill

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:25:38 PDT 2020

There we were, innocently watching the newest episode of The Great
British Baking Show, or The Great British Bake-Off, which ever applies
where you live, and they were making brownies. My chocoholic husband,
who also happens to be diabetic, was threatening to go to the grocery
store and buy their icky pseudo-brownies. I told him I was sure I must
have a recipe using stuff we had already in the kitchen, so I was
perusing my cookbooks and computer files, when I came upon a recipe from
Dee, which she called "Homemade Sin". Yes, Sir Sean Connery was
involved. I could not resist. The whole time I was making them, I was
remembering her. It was lovely and soothing. Here - try it: (I can't
attach a file, because TBT strips them off for our protection. This will
be just the text, without the picture she shared, but if anyone wants
the file with picture intact, message me privately, and I'll be happy to
send it. It would make Dee very, very happy to know we're still sharing
her recipes!)

Mine are still in the oven, so I'll have to let you know later if I did
it justice. :)

Without further ado, I present, "Homemade Sin", by Dee Churchill.
>Speaking of recipes...have I got a dandy for you! It started out as a
>simple brownie recipe, found on the label of a can of baking cocoa.
>Needless to say, it didn't take me long to consider variations and
>permutations...the result being something I call, appropriately,
>Homemade Sin. Well. It is.
>
>See, I owe it all to Sean Connery, whose charisma reminds me of
>chocolate. (Don't even think about trying to psychoanalyze that.) I was
>about to curl up and watch Finding Forrester and it didn't seem a
>complete experience unless I had something chocolatey to nibble, lick
>and fondle. If that sounds suggestive, I'm sorry. I've always confused
>food and sex.
>
>You throw 1/2 cup of butter (or margarine) and 1 cup of sugar in a
>mixing bowl. Right there was where I brilliantly strayed from the
>straight and narrow the first time...I included an 8 ounce package of
>cream cheese and then blended it all together with the mixer.
>
>Then you glug-glug in 1 teaspoon vanilla and crack-slosh in two eggs.
>Blend again.
>
>Add 6 tablespoons baking cocoa, 1/2 cup flour...mix until smooth. Then
>fold in 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or whatever nuts appeal) and
>pour batter into a buttered 8" x 8" baking dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons
>finely chopped pecans over the top. Put in oven at 325 degrees for 30
>to 35 minutes. Lick the beaters. Threaten anyone who tries to take them
>away from you.
>
>When the cake is done, remove from oven and stab it about a dozen times
>with a fork. Drizzle generously with...ohhh...about 1/4 to 1/3 cup
>Kahlua or similar coffee liqueur. That was my second brilliant idea.
>You can't go wrong with coffee liqueur. That's what I always say.
>
>You can wait until it cools before you eat it. I prefer to have the
>first chunk hot, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
>
>You can't quite call this a cake, although it's cake-like on sides,
>bottom and top. The center, however, is more like very smooth, creamy
>fudge. Smooth and rich...rather like Sean Connery.
>
>Oh...the movie was most excellent too. I like when that happens.

Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com