TheBanyanTree: quarantine sourdough

tobie at shpilchas.net tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed May 27 12:22:41 PDT 2020

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Say Julie,

	I have to thank you from the bottom of my (bottomless) heart for writing your dissertation on sourdough starter.  What a Godsend your post is!  My mom (remember her? just turned 100) kept hinting that she really really truly likes sourdough bread.  The silent message was clear that I should launch into a sourdough starter project.  I want you to know that I resisted because I know a little bit about sourdough starter futures and I already have too many people to take care of. Adding a growing doughy orphan wasn’t something I was willing to undertake.

	And it’s not that there is no sourdough bread around here.  San Francisco and environs are where the best of it is made.  Something about the fog and climate and probably the ambient bacteria, spores, infinitesimally tiny things that go bump in the night.  The stores (which I haven’t been in nor seen for nearly three months) are or used to be full of sourdough bread of all sizes, shapes and styles.  I’ve heard legends about master bakers from all over the world who have made pilgrimages here to beg a few tablespoons of real San Francisco sourdough starter off the local bakers who take it all for granted. I’m sure our bakers are standing around, shifting their weight and twiddling thumbs while the sourdough loaves and rings and batards and baguettes and fascinating wedding cakes expand all around them. In fact, here in the bay area, we are used to being pursued by quick growing sourdough as we retreat down quaint alleyways (bay area is full of quaint alleyways) running for our lives.  People have gone missing.  Occasionally, a missing persons case is closed when a local discovers a scarf, brooch or shoe in the rustic loaf they are tearing into at dinner.

	My mom is having trouble with her taste buds.  It’s medication probably, though her age could certainly be a contributing factor. Dysgeusia: distorted taste. Things don’t taste the way they should. Sometimes they taste foul and sometimes just wrong — she will report, "this is too salty," when no salt whatever was put into it.  Or, "All I can taste in the cottage cheese is sweet."  "Too spicy," when not a scintilla of capsicum or isothiocyanate was sneaked into the food.  Generally, the commentary I hear when she’s facing yet another gourmet meal from the chef in residence is, "YEUCH!"  Warms my heart (the bottomless one).

	But she soldiers on, asking for things she fancies will taste like they did when she was 17 and swooned over her mother’s "shrimp wiggle," or as she remembers that peanut butter and pickle relish sandwich her aunt Anne used to love so much. Every time, the disappointment she expresses is tragic.  It’s not just that it didn’t taste like she remembered; that’s bad enough. It’s that she keeps trying to recapture that "It’s It," she got at Playland at the Beach in 1940. She has me doing summersaults trying to replicate food she loved in hopes that her taste buds will come alive and behave, please and delight her the way they always did.  But it isn’t the popcorn or the sweet and sour stuffed cabbage or any particular food she wants.  I tell (warn) her that nothing is going to taste like it did, not even if her taster were operating perfectly, because what she remembers is not just the taste, but the era, the mood, the people she was with and the conversation they were having, the friendships and anticipations, the room she sat in and plate she ate off of.  It’s not recapturable.  The era has long passed, the mood existed once, the people are all dead so she's the only one who remembers the conversation.  The room she sat in? San Francisco, since the tech boom, has been utterly transformed. It is no longer the quirky loving place it was when Emperor Norton roamed the downtown paying with his personally minted illegal tender, being hailed and revered as an eccentric. He’d get arrested off the streets now and people would rush past him quickly, on their way to make some fat money.  Downtown is skyscrapers on the San Andreas fault. Some of the neighborhoods still retain their character. But even the Castro is corporate now: extremely predictable outrageous gay people no longer able to outrage anyone (they do keep trying).

	Taste can’t be summoned.  Sourdough starter was just another in a long long series of requests for something that will resurrect her love of food.  She loved food. Loved it. We three siblings actually developed neuroses from the obsession with food, too much food and then the battle to lose weight.  Sad? Eat something.  Happy? Celebrate with food.  Bored? You know what to do; the refrigerator is over there. People coming over? Get out the big guns.  Now we have to keep her weight up, the irony being that now that she could eat anything she ever wanted, everything she had to resist all her life, now that she can …. she can’t.

	I didn’t know how to tell her that I wasn’t willing to tend a sourdough starter. I’m overwhelmed entirely as it is. Not sure she sees that, but does it matter? I won’t have to remind her. I can just print out your post and hand it to her. She’ll get it.  Not one molecule missing from her brain.

I write too much.

Love,

Tobie