TheBanyanTree: Re Re: A Day at the Beach (tobie at shpilchas.net)

trsmith44 trsmith44 trsmith44 at cox.net
Wed Jul 1 08:34:05 PDT 2020

> I stood there and was rushed with a strange unfamiliar sensation,
> almost as if suspended in mid air, weightless. There is no sound. No
> noise at all.

Many many years ago I encountered such a redwood forest. It was
south of San Francisco, north of Big Sur. I had taken Highway One up
along the coast. I pulled over, parked along the shoulder, and walked
into a redwood forest. It was as you described: silent, dark, and still.

There is frequently a phrase or word in your writings that sets me off
on some kind of internal adventure. One time, it was "dust bunnies,"
another, "the existence of existence," and most recently, "endlessness."

I helped a teacher at an elementary school plant a giant redwood.
Sequoia sempervirens, near her classroom. These trees are available
in local landscape nurseries.

Tom