TheBanyanTree: What I do on a Saturday

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 19 13:26:51 PST 2020

For us, exciting things happen at times. Our Kiwi grandchildren went
home three weeks ago after Christmas. ("Kiwi" means they come from New
Zealand).

Anyhow, now we are over here to be their child minders until school goes
back, then we take a train down the North Island, a ferry to the South
Island, walk around some nice bits and then a train to Christchurch,
from which we fly home, possibly via a glacier or three.

The North Island gets the volcanoes, the south has earthquakes,
especially Christchurch. We'll wait and see. The South was largely
populated by Scots, so they have weird vowels: when they say "better
bitter batter", it comes out as "bitter butter better" to Australian
ears.  I'm almost ready for that.

Ere we head off in the first train, we will go to movies, consume hot
chocolate, swim in the chilly South Pacific, take the kids to 'Much Ado
About Nothing', and play a lot of Uno. I have just taught Alastair how
to tune his guitar (the extent of my surviving accomplishments with that
instrument) and I am getting Brianna working on playing piano by ear,
taking out her Suzuki violin pieces. Given the season, we tried
'Summertime' (almost all on the black keys) last night.

She and I have a regular summer project of co-writing the story of the
Ninja Tooth Fairy. We talk about it lots, but a few weeks back, when I
suggested a horse, named after René Descartes (so he could claim to have
been Descartes before the horse), we branched off into Cartesian doubt
and cogito ergo sum and all that stuff. At almost 13, she just takes it
all in.

I seem to have brought over far more books than I thought, so I suppose
I will have to do lots of reading.  It's a filthy job, but somebody has
to do it...

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
On the Mac, somewhere in New Zealand;
Anapest exterminator to select members of the gentry.
http://oldblockwriter.blogspot.com.au/