TheBanyanTree: What I do on a Saturday

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 20:51:00 PST 2020

Happy Saturday Tobie.

Me, I just wait until my mouse stops working and then get batteries out of the freezer. Or wherever they are. We have lots in case the world goes dark and I still want my mouse to work.

My Saturday has been nowhere near as exciting as yours, though I commend your mother for living so long. That's the objective, isn't it? To keep going until we can't?

I'm recovering from a cold, which used to be not so much a problem, but these days everything takes longer. Not for Andrew, who had a cold first, but once he lost weight and started exercising he's been much healthier and recovers faster, like I used to, in the distant past.

Apathy has been my top interest this week. I'm not depressed, and I have lots of things I want to do, and to do, but I just don't care. They tell me apathy comes with Parkinson's, but I really don't care. I hope it stops soon because it's boring as hell, and it makes me more boring than usual.

If possible.

I did work last week, and billed and got paid, and have much work to do in the next two weeks, so I'm hoping this passes by Monday. Or not. I don't care. I went to my second movement class on Wednesday, which is once a week, and I was late again. The first week I went in the entrance I used to go in, years ago, to see my doctor before she quit in frustration, but the class is on the other side of the hospital in the basement, in something called the Willow Room, or Fir Room, or Room Room. The second week I thought I had it figured out but I did not - I went in the main entrance to the medical building when I needed to go in at Urgent Care, then take the elevator to the basement. On Wednesday I'll review this first and hopefully get there before our instructor starts talking.

I signed up for this class because a local advocacy group gives it, and it's cheap, or nothing if one is temporarily short of funds. And I need to remember how to move. Not that I've forgotten yet, but I am sometimes stiff and unwieldy. The first week we did all the exercises in our chairs. We rolled a tennis ball with our feet, then played with the tennis ball with our hands, then we tossed the tennis ball from one hand to the other, and if we dropped it, which happens a lot, we couldn't move to get it. We're learning to not move as well as move, because jumping after something that has slipped from our grasp is dangerous and a great way to fall on one's head. There was laughing, instructed and not, and flying tennis balls, and something about a book I don't have. Maybe I should find out what it is so I can do these exercises. There are so many I can't remember them all.

We take off our shoes in class, and I do have the prettiest socks, which is something I take great pride in because it's all I've got. The class is diverse: old men and old women, but everyone has Parkinson's. It's all old white people because we are not a diverse community, which some people take pride in, but I do not. It is what it is.

The instructor told us that the second week we'd be getting on the floor, which is a good thing to know since there's no telling how often the hospital cleans the carpet. So we all showed up with our yoga mats, mine being fresh from Costco because Andrew got me one as soon as he heard I needed one. But we did not get on the floor at all. We did have a photographer from the local newspaper taking pictures of us grimacing and being all Parkinsony, but I am comforted by the knowledge that no one in this town will know who I am if there are any pictures. I'd rather be anonymous woman #4.

The instructor says it may be a couple of weeks before we get to the floor. Perhaps we're all underperforming? It's hard to tell.

On Thursday I woke up with a definite cold, and thought about canceling my afternoon dental appointment. But I'm a lucky sort of person, and shortly the dentist office called me to cancel because my hygienist wasn't coming in. This is not the first time I've wanted to cancel an appointment but wanted the other party to do it so I wouldn't feel guilty, and it happens often enough to convince me that I have found my secret superpower.

I need to write some blog posts about business for a client's website. They will pay me, but I've been very lax, though I have several ideas and source documents. Apathy.

The fact that I've written this much may be an indication I'm tired of apathy. I hope so. I haven't even finished my course on Economic Systems, or learned how to felt. So many things to do. And work even picked up, which is fun. They come to me as a referral from another client and I say, I may not be what you want, and they say, No, you're exactly what I need, which is good for my ego, which sustained some serious direct hits last year.

Monique
Sent from my iPad