TheBanyanTree: Me and the Pythons

peter macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 10 00:23:52 PDT 2019

I threatened to a couple of you on FB recently that I would spill the
beans on this at some stage. If we're telling stories, here goes.

It concerns a sort of fraud that I was involved in with a former friend
of the Pythons: it was a non-Dark-Side fraud, like all of my frauds.
I'll get around to the time I played Mr Bean, some other time, but it
saved me from injury.

First up, for a long while, my main recognised professional skill was in
planning, designing and executing tests and examinations. It's still a
nice little earner for me, late each summer, but that's well past my
active phase. It's an art, not a science.

I had an approach from another state, asking if I could help with their
matriculation English exam, and I agreed.  We would test the questions,
to be used in that other state, on Year 11 students in Sydney, and at
the end of that year, Year 12 students in the other state would do the
questions that survived.

We would guard the papers, but I would also engage in a lot of
misdirection. First, the front page was provided by me: this said the
test was being run by the state department of education, blah blah, but
these kids had all seen the first page of questions, late the previous
year, when they did a 'Reference Test', so they all worked out that this
was something to do with a future Year 10 School Certificate, perhaps
because I said I was from the School Certificate Development Unit (which
was true).

To maintain total security, John was introduced as my research
assistant, and he carried the papers, handed them out and collected
them. He was, in fact, a full professor and outranked me by far, but we
got on well, because we both knew our 'Finnegans Wake', and I shared
some insights about Malay words in the book at one point (Malay used to
be one of my languages), and when he said this insight was unpublished,
I gave it to him.

We spent several days driving around and sampling kids in different
schools, and the conversations were free-ranging but tended to come back
to originality and creativity. John mentioned that when he was studying
at Cambridge, he was on the same corridor as the Pythons, and that there
wasn't a single theme in all of the Python shows that they hadn't been
using as undergraduates. End of Python bit, but I ain't done yet

Jump forward a dozen years, and I was out in the desert with a bunch of
engineers, my first-ever editor and a Jesuit priest. The engineers were
there to launch a rocket, and I was half of the press contingent, and
the only one of the corps who could speak fluent Engineer (the other was
a Rupert Murdoch hack).

The former editor and the Jesuit were there to help some refugees, but
because of that, they were staying slightly sober. So I wandered back to
the engineers, who mentioned their Vice-Chancellor by name.

The VC is the Top Cheese in any Australian university, and I asked if
this bloke was a former Professor of English in the state of xxx. They
confirmed this, so I said "Oh, he used to be my research assistant..." I
then explained how the claim was true, and they decided their VC had
more guile than they had assumed, and I was a damned good fellow and
should be part of the Inner Circle for the rocket launch.

We had several more beers, and I can't recall if I told them the Python
story. Probably not, because I usually keep a few yarns back for the
next night.

peter