TheBanyanTree: Wherein peter falls down a hole

tobie at shpilchas.net tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Jan 9 20:49:54 PST 2019

Peter peter!

	If you don’t already have one planted someplace, I suggest you use the hole so generously provided by lowering a time capsule into it.  You could keep it private, i.e., you, your family, OR, we could all send you things.  Just think of the confusion many many decades down the road when our descendants happen upon the time capsule (perhaps much in the same way you came across the sink hole) and find items from seemingly random locations all over the world!  Think! A Mao cap from Berkeley, California. Or, I could send you a few palm fronds.  That would be exciting.  Of course this is all predicated on the (perhaps foolish) assumption that we’re not all about to go down a sink hole of human miscreation.

	Sorry.  too sober.

Carry on,

Tobie

> On Jan 9, 2019, at 8:38 PM, peter macinnis <petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> I have been gardening this past week, subduing a wild jungle of trees and weeds, and today's task was to trim the dead fronds on a  Canary Island palm in the garden. I grew up in a street lined with these, and I know that they have vicious spines, but I also know how to deal with them. I cut the fronds with loppers, and then chopped off the end 60 cm or 2 feet so all the spines are now in a bin. Later, I will cut off the leaves from the stalks and compost them
>
> For some time, there has been a deep depression in the garden near the palm, about a metre, three feet deep, and I have recently been filling it with all the fallen leaves, converting it into a compost pit.  Today, as I was trimming the dead fronds on that palm, I stepped onto/into the depression a couple of times, and the third time I did, the bottom of the hole gave way, and my leg plunged in.  Clearly, the leaves had been plugging the hole in an unsupported way.
>
> It was a bit like stepping into really deep snow as I did once in Norway, so I knew what to do: bend the knee and drop back to land on the thigh, so I only go knee-deep, and then scramble out. When I got out and started poking palm fronds in there, some of them went down to a depth of 3 metres, ten feet.
>
> It could have been nasty, but it wasn't. Just curious, because the geology here doesn't support sink holes.
>
> Enquiries have been set in train, but I have ruled out white rabbits.
>
> peter

AFter all that’s happened to me in life, it’s being nuts that keeps me sane.    THS 2018

Tobie Helene Shapiro
mailto:tobie at shpilchas.net <mailto:tobie at shpilchas.net>