TheBanyanTree: What I did on my birthday

Teague, Julie Anna jateague at indiana.edu
Fri Jul 20 07:50:19 PDT 2018

GAK! is a personal favorite of mine.  Your story was compelling albeit painful to read.  I can relate.  That time I was told by my dentist to have my wisdom teeth taken out and I didn't listen to her because nothing hurt, and so I put it off for fifteen YEARS?  I probably deserved what I got by the time I finally had four of them removed at once, but it was bad.  So very bad.  Some kind of lurking devil of an infection was released and, along with the surgery pain, there were leaking green fluids beyond what I had ever experienced in my life and a fever of 103F-105F for a week or more. Agony.  And like you, I was single mom at the time.  Fortunately the kids could mostly feed themselves.  Lee, the "boyfriend" at that time, would dash in to bring prescriptions, boxes of tissue, and orange juice, tell me it "smells like sickness in here" and dash out again so that he didn't catch anything.  Anything like impacted wisdom teeth, I guess.  So yes, I can concur, that dental pain is pain like no other, and I'm sorry you had to experience it, and on your birthday no less.  I think you get a do-over in this case.

Always good to hear from you,
Julie