TheBanyanTree: instant pot

paul paul at remsset.com
Wed Jan 17 15:37:03 PST 2018

Laura Hicks said the following on 1/17/2018 3:48 PM:
> It definitely requires learning a new way of cooking. "Makes perfect rice
> in just 15 minutes!"

I bought a rice cooker with a stainless steel bowl instead of teflon.
   Simply on the off chance that if it sucked, I have a $30 dog food
bowl after I toss out a piece of junk.  Four years or so on and it
still works great.  I did pass on the steamer rack option.  Like I
want veggie or fish juice dripping into my rice?  Ever?

It tends to spray a starchy mess from the vent hole onto my counter
but hey, just squeeze one end of the kitchen sponge into the handle
and that mostly catches the spray.  Clean-up is not a big deal... eat
supper, give the dogs the leftovers, add a few drops of dish soap
(really, like 5 drops, no squeezing the bottle) and fill with water...
let it soak for a couple of hours while watching a movie.  Easy clean.

Sure, make rice in the nuker... I did for years but the rice cooker is
easier.

Instant Pots sound like fun.  A plug-in and program version of a
pressure cooker slash crockpot.  But for me, I'll pass until gifted
one.  I have a couple of crock pots and a couple of meal sized
pressure cookers.  Plus a couple of pressure canners.

I pressure cook stew meat when making chili to save time.

I don't recall ever pressure cooking pork or chicken.

So, yeah, give the Instant Pot a try.  Make a pot of beef stew or cook
a pot of (ick) beans.  Make yogurt.  If you hate the thing, talk big
about it but you are lacking storage space and give it Andy.  :)

My other fun cooking toy is an egg cooker.  Made by West Bend.  Maybe
$15.  It holds 7 eggs, I do 6 at a time.  Yeah, perfectly cooked
"boiled" eggs every time.  Just load it and wait for the buzzer.

> As EmuBoy says, YMMV.

Yep.  Always.

--
    http://remsset.com

    Do you smell something burning or is it me?
                                  - Joan of Arc