TheBanyanTree: [Fwd: SAY what???!!!]

Teague, Julie Anna jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 3 06:45:38 PDT 2016

Wowsa.  That's all I can say about that collage.  I see my buddy Tom James, the adventurer, juggler, and mad scientist whom I think I was mildly in love with or at least wildly enamored of.  We exchanged real mail letters for a while and he made me laugh hysterically, but then he seemed to drop off the face of the earth.  Since he liked to do really crazy stunts, sometimes involving planes, I'm hoping that he just got busy and not otherwise.  And yes, Youngblood.  So many memories there.  YB and I had a bond of heartbrokenness that ran deep.  I spread some of her ashes at Lake Monroe, at a spot a couple of miles from my house.   Remember the last time some of you guys came here and we swam at the lake?  Well, that was a weird drought year, it was a muddy mess and the water was mucky, but normally it's a beautiful part of the lake.  That's where we had a little ceremony for Youngblood the year she died--a beautiful lake year not a drought year.  She stayed near there when she came through this part of the country. It was fall and the leaves were burning gold and she thought it was so beautiful that she wanted some of herself there.  Some of Lee will be spread there as well.  It was our beautiful kayaking spot and his favorite fishing spot.  Golden eagles and great blue herons are regulars there.  The mists in the mornings are magical.

Good to see your words, Tobie.  I wish I were writing more.  I keep trying.  Just last night I had dinner with my youngest son who is now 23.  When Tobie and I first met, he was a little boy in my arms.  We had the most inspiring conversation and at the end of it we both made a pact to work harder at being the people we each knew ourselves to be, to break some bad habits and ingrain some new, good ones.  To that end, I decided I've had enough of hitting the snooze, hitting the snooze, hitting the snooze, rushing through the morning, and being late to work.  I put my phone in the next room so that when the alarm went off I had to get out of bed to turn it off.  Just that first step out of bed onto the cold floor, out from under the covers and the warm cat who sleeps on top of me, is the hardest one for me.  Once that step is taken, I'm ok, or at least resigned to it.  I'm up.  It was easier when Lee was here.  He was the disciplinarian of day's end and day's beginning, whereas I am the lax drifter, letting days slip into nights into mornings in ways that do not serve me, physically.  So, day one of this habit-to-be is completed, and I do feel slightly more virtuous already.  I streteched a bit, moved a bit, had coffee and breakfast at my kitchen table instead of over my desk at work.  Thirty days is the widely publicized "rule" for breaking a habit or starting a new one.  We shall see.  I managed to break my life-long nail biting habit at age 50, thirty days at a time, but with a few backslides.  It took three or four 30 day attempts to really and truly break the habit and I still will sometimes chew my cuticles to bloody bits, but I mostly check this off as a success and feel ready to tackle some other life-changing bad habit.  Maybe I'll start waking up on time.  Or I'll do the dishes right after dinner.  Finish that personal trainer certification. Stop falling in love with the wrong men.  The possibilities for self-improvement are endless.

Julie