TheBanyanTree: Renrat Chronicles 0f 2016 volume 1

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:30:43 PDT 2016

Hail and well met once again!

Once again, your not so humble (or sane) scribe will try to report the
goings on at the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival.  This past Saturday marked
the kick-off of the 2016 run of this grand event.  This is the 21st year
for this particular bit of insanity.  It boggles me mind to realize that I
have attended this event every year either as a cast member, booth person,
or (mostly) as a performer (so called musician).

Last year was known as the year of the rains.  It rained nearly every
weekend last year.  For whatever reason the gods chose, it looked like it
was going to pick up right where it left off!  There was much wailing and
moaning when Friday night the sky came unzipped with rain coming down in
buckets, accompanied by much sound and light from lightening and thunder.  This
was altogether unnecessary in our opinion, but it was what it was.  Much to
our relief the rains stopped in the wee hours of the morning leaving the
grounds wet . . . OK, many areas were a bog.  At least the wet was staying
on the ground and not in the sky.

The first weekend is always a time of merriment and seeing many friends not
seen for the past year.  Many of the people I enjoy there are not part of
my regular circle.  This is either due to distance (some travel great
distances to participate) or other factors.  It is sometimes a challenge to
focus on the other patrons that are there when a long time friend comes
into view!

I am once again the third member of the duo The Bedlam Bards.  We are known
for our gawd awful dirty songs in the Black Boar pub in the afternoon, but
we do play sweet and silly songs at the Hidden Grove stage in the morning
and kick off the pub sing at the Crown Inn about 4:45.  It is an aggressive
schedule, but it does leave time to play with the patrons and rest between
sets.

As always there was much merriment throughout the day with much laughter
and silliness as well as some wondrous conversations.

I am thinking very strongly that this will be my “Farewell Tour” as a
performer with The Bedlam Bards.  It just takes so much out of me, and I
just don’t bounce back like I did in years past.  Many fans seemed to be
seriously concerned but were very supportive when told that it wasn’t
because of health as much as other opportunities being offered that are
more in line with my main interests.

Mostly I'm taking it kind of easy today.  My hips were NOT amused with the
demands placed on them.  I have learned though that it is acceptable to
"play the old guy card" and not walk the noon parade, or participate in the
activities at closing.  That made a big difference, plus, I was sitting
down as much as possible between sets.  That too helped a great deal.  In
talking to a few other "old timers" I'm finding that I may not be the only
one viewing this as their "farewell tour" this year.  Several others are
realizing that it is time to hang up their spurs due to the demands on the
bod.

 Till next time fare the well wherever you may go,

Andrus of the Bedlam Bards

Aka Russ

--
Enjoy Life By Living In Joy