TheBanyanTree: Cooking the carcass

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:49:42 PST 2015

Since you asked Janice, all I do when cooking the carcass of a bird is just
simmer it with nothing added.  I pick off the big chunks of meat before I
toss it in the pot, but leave all the smaller and harder to get pieces on.
They will fall off as the bird simmers!  I get lots of meat in the broth
that way too!  By not adding anything, I can use the meaty broth for
whatever I want - turkey and noodles, pot pies, soup, etc.  When I make
soup, I toss in what ever strikes my fancy.  Than can be any of a number of
"hard" vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, and so
forth as wel as lots of onion and garlic (they are both amazing health
foods by the way) then after the hard veggies are softening, then in goes
anything else!

I use this for so many things!

Russ

--