TheBanyanTree: Today's sad story

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:20:56 PST 2015

Don't worry, it's short.

I have a substantial sum of money in an account, and I'm trying to move
some of it in pieces to several other accounts, but the other banks aren't
cooperating. The account I'm sending from is a credit union, and the
accounts I'm sending to are a combination of credit unions and online
banks, all set up for external transfers but not from the accounts where
the money is.

And then I thought, "Hey! I have actual real paying work to do here! So
let's forget about it for today, get some fruit salad from Thursday for
breakfast, and try doing some actual real work!

Yeah, I'm gonna do that.

I have multiple accounts because years ago, when I was poor and Stew was
alive, we had all our accounts closed one day, like this: WHOOMP! We were
at a restaurant at the time and didn't find out until we tried to pay. We
could not pay. His accounts were closed, my accounts were closed. The
restaurant said, "Oh, you can write a check!" as if they had figured out
something amazing. Since I had no other option, I wrote them a check, even
as I knew that said check would bounce, since all the cards were denied. I
didn't know what else to do. How else would we get out of there? Once we
 made our escape I went to my bank and they relented slightly -- they let
me keep my business account open. One day months later I went in to the
bank to pay off the several hundred dollars of balance due and they told
me, "Oh, that's been paid for. Someone came in and paid it." They couldn't
tell me who, and I never found out who the good samaritan was, though I
have my suspicions.

For 7 years, I was allowed only 1 business account. Once that seven years
was up, I got more and more accounts, so many accounts my husband can't
keep them straight. That's okay, as long as I can. There's always a bit of
money somewhere

I've never been good at moderation. Though I'm not a black and white
thinker, I am a black and white responder. Someone says I can have only one
account, I'm going to open as many as I can when I can. Someone doesn't
show up for a meeting, it must be because they hate me. Someone blows me
off, I never should have trusted them in the first place. Extreme responses
when they're not called for. Used to be, anyway. Nowadays I usually don't
much care, because these things aren't important.

You know what is important?

Having to keep a chart to keep track of where one's money is.

Monique Colver