TheBanyanTree: Finally, Spring,

Linda DeMerle twigllet at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:20:30 PDT 2015

It’s spring, finally
after the coldest February on record
or at least that’s what the meteorologists claim
and they wouldn’t lie,
after the fact and televised evidence where
people shivered on camera
and complained about freezing their hind quarters off
on the way from the house to the car

It’s spring, finally
and the grass is greening while the next door neighbors
diligently cut the quarter inch of grass which has grown since last week
and will do the same, way too early, on what some would have hoped to have been
the most delicious morning for sleeping in, next week

It’s spring, finally
when layers of golden pollen with subtle hues of green settle
on every available surface and allergies force us to shut the stuff out of our house
with windows tightly latched and the air conditioning on while
the warm days we’ve longed for wait for us
their noses pressed up against the glass
like a sad puppy we refuse to play with

It’s spring, finally
when I thought my sister would be happy and
stop griping about how awful the weather was, yet
she gives hourly updates on the temperature outside when she comes in
from her smoke and she complains about how unbearably hot it is
as my eyes roll catatonically back into my head
and we chase the mosquito who came in on her,
the lone survivor of our battles with its comrades, all
who have fallen in their quest for a warm meal
now that it’s spring

LLd