TheBanyanTree: Once upon a time

paul paul at remsset.com
Wed Dec 2 19:10:38 PST 2015

My mom use to make a thing she called hamburger pie.

It was a round pie crust on a cookie sheet.  The meat was browned and
drained and had onions (ick) and bell peppers (ickier) and garlic and
somethings else.  Maybe a splat of tomato paste.

Then the top crust went on and the edges sealed.  Looked like
something from a 16 inch pie pan tumped onto a cookie sheet.

Brushed with melted butter or whatever, and sprinkled with instant
mashed potato flakes.

Into a medium oven until the crust was you know, just say it!  Golden
Brown.

I haven't had any since I was like 18.  I just turned four years from
being able to get SS.  So....

She doesn't remember the recipe.  She does remember making it.  She's
84.  She's had strokes in her speech center.  Hey, ain't dementia
anyway.  Like, so fucking what anyway.

R went down to Edinburg last month to check on her house and well,
that has not been fun.

And.

The water line to the bathroom sink sprang a leak.  Just a tiny needle
prick spray..... But after a year, well, the house was 2 inches deep
of water and leaking out of the doors.  I'll spare the details of how
the plastic accordion gap fillers on the big widow unit UVed out and
there were not mice, but RATS in the house.

House is all concrete and cinder blocks.  Except for the
plumbing wall between the kitchen and bathroom.

Mom and dad built the house in 79 or 79.  All by themselves.  Except
for having the slap poured.  It's round.  It's pretty neat, I think.

It was a mess.  The 25 wide by 7 feet high wall of books?  Ruined.
The humidity was so high the book spines were melting off.  Her bed
(as an example) had /a/ corner of the blanket touching the floor.  The
mattress was soaked, the sheets were growing mushrooms.

Stink?  Oh yeah.

It's all gone to the dump.  Except for dad's marine footlocker and a
few things that didn't get wet.

Furniture?  To the dump.

But it's all scrubbed and pressured washed.  I sent a dehumidifier
down and it's quite busy sucking out a couple gallons of water a day.

Anyway, it's all a long messed up story.

So.  Back to Hamburger Pie. ....  The recipe is gone.  Along with
mom's cookbooks.

Crazy stuff.

--
    http://remsset.com