TheBanyanTree: Tonight's Story

auntiesash auntiesash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 10:39:38 PDT 2014

This story did pull me in, but Neeky's stories do.  They just pull me to a
different place.  I would be a little worried about myself if I reacted the
same way to a chapter about Stew cutting himself that I do to a story about
Ash stealing pizza off the counter.

There is definitely a different feel - a different flow - to some stories.
Maybe it's my weird overlap of senses, but I hear that mood - just like a
soundtrack in a movie.

So that flow, it's setting the stage.  Establishing a mood.  Foreshadowing.

And the effortlessness of it?  That's just great writing.

Keep the stories coming sweetie.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Kitty Park <mzzkitty at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question, Monique, about your writing.
>
> There's a flow with this piece that I don't always find in what you post.
>  In my mind's eye, you sat down, thought for a moment or two about what you
> wanted to convey and then the words put themselves down.  Minimal editing.
>
> Now don't misunderstand.  I appreciate reading what you share -- whether
> it's goofy or serious.  But there is a quality about this one that sets it
> apart from some of the others.
>
> Maybe it's *my* mood this morning that is affecting how I regard your
> thoughts about Cece.  Bottom line -- this one pulled me in and I was sorry
> when it ended.
>
> Kitty
> <mzzkitty at gmail.com>kcp-parkplace.blogspot.com
>  <http://parkplaceohio.com>
>

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Monique Colver <monique.colver at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I have a friend. She's a friend of a friend who became a friend. She used
> > to live in Hollywood, the Hollywood, and was married to a guy who was big
> > in the Scientology thing there. I met her once. She's a down-to-earth
> women
> > who's happy with living simply, and she didn't care for the Hollywood
> > religion.
> >
> > Years ago when I was broke she insisted I had to go to California to see
> my
> > grandfather, who was 100 at the time. "But Cece," I told her, "I really
> > can't afford to."
> >
> > "You're going to come see him," she insisted, "You and Andrew both.
> You'll
> > stay here, and you can borrow my van, and I'll pay for the plane
> tickets."
> >
> > And she did. She wanted to do it because she wanted us to see Gramps, and
> > she had the money, and she was insistent, and so we went.
> >
> > We stayed at her house, we met her family, her husband just for a second,
> > her disabled daughter for longer. Her disabled daughter, in her teens
> then,
> > told me I was too old for Andrew, and that he should go out with her
> > instead. Cece had her hands full with that one. She had other children,
> but
> > they were mostly grown and elsewhere, probably free spirits like their
> > mother.
> >
> > We saw Gramps, and he and Andrew had a good talk.He was slower, and
> seemed
> > tired, but was in good spirits. It was indeed the last chance we'd have
> > see him -- several months later he was gone, shortly before he would have
> > turned 101.
> >
> > We were so grateful to Cece, but she would not entertain the idea of
> being
> > paid back. She was just happy she could do it for us.
> >
> > Not too long after that Cece left her husband and moved into the wilds of
> > California. She'd had enough of his Scientology, something she was in
> only
> [...]

"Well, do you ever get the feeling that
        the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
 Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems
        like you're the only person sitting in the audience? "
-- *Jethro Tull*