TheBanyanTree: Mad sheep 3

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 15 22:52:46 PDT 2014

Priscilla and Myfanwy walked through several rooms, then Myfanwy stopped
at a door with a flashing green light above it.

"I want you to close your eyes, hold onto my fleece, and walk through
with me. Keep your eyes closed until I say."

"Why do I need to do that?"

"We're going to cross a dimension that isn't ripe yet, and in my
experience, the sight of a green dimension makes humans feel very ill.
Trust me in this: we aren't really sheep, you know."

Priscilla did as she was told, and felt no more than a slight
temperature change and the sense of a feather duster being poked up her
nose, pointy end first.

"You can open your eyes now, but best not to look back—it's dripping a bit."

"If you aren't sheep, what are you?"

"In simple terms, we're 3D manifestations of higher dimension beings
which have been shaped by morphic resonance to fit within the
existence-scale of your puny 3D minds."

"You mean even minds can have more dimensions?"

"Yes, or less. Lots of people have 2D minds, usually because Gordon the
Goth Goat has taken a disliking to them. Make a note: it's best not to
cross Gordon, and it's even better not to cross in front of him when
he's rolling something heavy, because it leaves you feeling, well, flat.
He's the same sort of being as us, but we're shaped by morphic
resonance, and he's shaped by murphic resonance."

"Like potatoes?"

"No, more like the Law of that name. Hermione was giving Bill
Shakespeare some ideas for sonnets one time, and accidentally let slip
something about the quality of Murphy, and he wrote the line down and
used it later. Luckily, Bill got it wrong and talked about the quality
of mercy, which was easier to explain, though there's a critic who has a
theory that it was meant to be the koala tea of Mersey. Anyhow, we're
not sheep. We just look like them, and that occasionally makes us do
sheepy things."

"What was Hermione giving ideas to Shakespeare for?"

"Oh she was only young, then. Lots of us have a pet human to play with
when we're young, and most of them don't even know we're there. Some of
them see us, and we're behind 93% of all cases of invisible friends.
Even we can't account for the rest, but come in here, and you'll be able
to see the Library of Lost Manuscripts."

It only took one look for Priscilla to be convinced she had made the
right choice.

--
Peter Macinnis, boutique word herder & science gossip,
stand-up chameleon and part-time lay-down misère: