TheBanyanTree: Letter to Ex Regarding Their Son

Tom Smith trsmith44 at cox.net
Sun Nov 17 10:21:24 PST 2013

Dear Veronica,

I'm a little mystified about what is going on with Vern.  We have
have stopped communicating.  His last midsummer message
to me was essentially a farewell, and ended with "Out."

I have no current address for him.  If he doesn't want me to
know, I don't want to know.  Given his history of evictions,
wherever he lives is likely to be temporary.  He announced he
will never ask for my help again. I presume he does not want
any relationship with me as a father, friend or person.  That
should make his wife happy.  Vern needs her because she
 needs him, and it doesn't matter that she needs him the way
a tick needs a dog.

I can't make him see his delusions and am blind to my own.  I
can't help him out of his screw-ups fast enough.  Pain keeps
most people from repeating mistakes.  My paying for his
blunders is not fair or helpful to his figuring out what
changes he needs to make.  The responsibility for his situation
and the pain or pleasure that goes with it, is ultimately his
own. The consequences of his choices will be more motivating
than my money, opinion or advice, which he wants none of.

You have always been more patient and diplomatic than I, and a
good loving influence.  My influence has faded and I would not
control him even if it were possible, but you can still wish
him a Happy Thanksgiving for me.

Love,
 Vick